2013 Mercedes Benz CLS 63 Operation:Noting's SImple CDT Audio, Audison, AudioControl

Octave
10+ year member

Technically this is the second car I have done for Aaron but the first one I'm posting. Still waiting for his insane M3 to be finished up then I promise a build log of that beast……custom doesn't even begin to cover it. So when Aaron brought in his 2013 CLS 63 AMG he said he wanted it simple. Ok. Simple he says. With Aaron simple isn't well….this is simple.

He wanted the front stage to be louder and the subwoofers to slam. Having some leftover equipment from the M3 we went with that.

CDT Audio QES 12 (x2)

CDT Audio ES 02

CDT Audio SQA-1000 (x2)

Audison LRx 4.1k

Audio Control LC6i

BatCap X2000

Aaron was concerned with the dinky OEM battery was not going to be able to handle the up coming system. So we added a BatCap X2000 battery. A battery mounting bracket was fabricated out of plexiglass and screwed into the wheel using rivet nuts. Another requirement from Aaron was to have the system able to be disconnected from the OEM charging system. A circuit breaker was put in to allow him to do that at a push of a button.

Just like most battery tie downs a bolt down cross bar keeps the battery in place while driving…..eeeerrr spirited driving. It is an AMG after all.

An in line fuse within 18" of the battery protects it from an incidents.

The power and ground wires were ran along OEM lines and zip tied every 6".

With the power side handle the audio source was tapped. The front OEM speakers were to just be amplified by an Audison LRx4.1k to give added volume. The leads were soldered and heat shrunk and ran to an Audio Control LC6i.

With the box mounted everything could be mounted and it was just fitting everything where it could go. The Audio Control LC6i and Audison LRx 4.1k were mounted to the top and the 2 CDT Audio SQA-1000s were mounted to the back with fusing on the side. Stinger 4000 series RCAs were used with Stinger Power wire.

The enclosure was bolted down using rivet nuts and 1/4-20 bolts. Which can be viewed from these angles as well as the wiring.

Everything mounted and wired up the trim panels could be made. The front trim panel was wrapped in black carpet to match the carpet. Grille openings were made to allow the ports from the enclosure to vent through.

The rear trim commanded more attention. The interior design and materials were used as inspiration for the design to help integrate it into the car.

LED accents were used to accent the panel and to give that OEM feeling of the dash lighting. Aaron's color of choice is blue (which you will see in his M3) and this matches the dash lighting.

From these different angles you can see the attention to detail in the design. A high grain, smooth grain and perforated vinyl were matched to the OEM materials to bring the interior into the trunk.

As a finishing accent my logo was embossed into some of the smooth grain vinyl and mounted over pleated lines to mimic the AMG logo that is part of the front set back.

For a simple set up it really is….well…simple for Aaron. I guess the question is did we hit the mark? YES! I did a measurement after setting the gains and the front stage would do 115db without the subwoofers. Didn't meter after the subwoofers but they pound in their slot ported enclosure. Definitely enough to upset that old woman next to him in traffic. The only thing louder that I have ever produced is….well Aaron's M3, which will shock and awe people. For now we are done till his M3 gets out of the performance shop. Stay tuned. There's a carbon beast coming…….

Russ,

For more please visit Octave - Car Audio Orlando Florida

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.