8" subwoofer in a .3 space U Pick

Hudler1

It's going in a 2014 Wrangler. Speakers are upgraded to hertz esk 165's. Headunit going to be upgraded to a Kenwood dxc974.

The amp is a small Picasso Nano 5 channel.

RMS rating

@4ohms 60x4 + 200

@2ohms 80x4 + 350

My Hertz speakers are 4 ohm

Not sure if my sub needs to be 4 ohm?

Sealed sub box is .3 and the mounting depth is max 4.5 with a spacer.

Choices I have come up with are

Sound ordnance M2-8svl

Skar Audio VD -8 can get a 4 or 2 ohm.

Memphis Audio I5 - prx8d4

Memphis Audio I5 - prx8d4

I am an older guy listening to 80's rock and 70's easy listening. Some jazz and blues when the mood strikes!

Thanks for any advice!!

Maybe a shallow sub like a mb quart or a kenwood instead? I don't need earth shattering bass I just want the best I can get for a reasonable price. Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the knowledge!

I just did a 13 jk unlimited. Did the skar vd-8 with a 1/2" spacer on a Rockford pbx-300.1 it turned out decent. Power isn't going to be your issue. The box is. Plan on removing the box and deadening inside and out on the back, and if you can some bracing.

It was my neighbors. He is happy with it, it filled in the low end fine. But I only deadened the inside, and the box starts to rattle before the sub is close to being maxed out. Also poly filled it. I plan on removing it and working with it some more to get it better. But that skar really did surprise me

Hey thanks for the info Yukon!! I thought this sub might be ok. I planned on sound deadening the enclosure. Wasn't sure about the poly fill. How full would you make it? Should I really stuff it in or just lightly fill the enclosure? I am not sure about bracing, are we talking wooden slats that are riveted to the enclosure in a couple spots to strengthen the box? I guess I can youtube subwoofer enclosure braces and see.

Thanks a lot for the info!!

Sundown has a line for very narrow spaces. check that out at their page.

Anyways, if you don't have depth, I'd go for bigger but narrow subs. and rock music doesn't require very deep bass, its all about 60-200hz AFAIK

Sundown has a line for very narrow spaces. check that out at their page.Anyways, if you don't have depth, I'd go for bigger but narrow subs. and rock music doesn't require very deep bass, its all about 60-200hz AFAIK
Any music can get down to the 30hz range. But yes most older rock is >40hz. Now jazz on the other hand can get low with the strings.

OK I will look at Sundown. It sounds like my biggest issue is going to be the quality of the enclosure. I have some dense foam, like for a sound studio. I might try to pack it on the outside of the enclosure to dampen any vibrations from the woofer. I have not had the enclosure off the jeep yet so I am not sure how much room behind the enclosure there is, I will check that out. I will maybe see if I can get some corner braces made out of mdf and attach them if I can, brace on the inside and screws from the outside. Would metal corner braces work, attached on the outside with wafer head screws? Just thinking out loud.

Maybe metal corner braces with high density foam on the outside of the box, and some sound damping material lining the inside.?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.