8" Compare Decision Help

It is period correct YENKO

1968Yenkohood3.jpg

1968Yenkohood.jpg

1968Yenkohood2.jpg

I don't really like the loose sound that I usually hear from Subs. Mids seem to have a much sharper sound. The crazy bee sound from most subs just doesn't fit the music I play. My hope is that with a couple of 8" speakers in the rear deck, I can get by with no sub, or a small one in the trunk. I know it dates me, but the nasty burr, burrrr, burr, I hear from most subs just sound like blown speakers. I want to have clear music that I can actually hear everything. From the guitar rift in the beginning of Hotel California to Sting in Money for nothing, and the hard guitar following it You should be able to actually hear the music. It makes me old fashion, but I have been known to listen to Manheim Steamroller, all the way to Alison Krauss, and back to Nazareth, MollyHatchet, and Black Sabbath.

I have a pair of JL Audio free-air 8" subwoofers (8IB4) in great condition and these are known to make excellent midbass drivers while having enough bass to chase you out of the car. Great things but I'm not going to use them anytime soon. If you want really old school, I also have a set of ADS 7" midbass/sub drivers with the original grills. PM me if you're interested.

Not sure what you have done with your rear speaker situation but from your definition of what you like sound wise... My recommendation is to go with a single sealed 10" sub of high quality in a fairly small sealed box... Me personally would then install the 8" Soundstreams, they are VERY nice, I have a set in the rear deck of my Impala to give me some mid-bass and rear stage fill due to my all low only 15" HCCA vented sub... They fill that gap nicely, my sub does very minimal mid-bass period... Another thought is that the Soundstreams are bi-ampable meaning the tweeter can be separately amped/gained or disconnected entirely... They are a great option at a great value... I know the thread is a bit old, but it may not be too late or worse case can help someone in a similar circumstance... I'm very curious what you have done... A sealed reference SQ 10" sub will not produce the negatives you fear of overkill loose bass and no 8" free-air alone can accomplish, but the combination is a SQ systems dream... It of course comes down to do you want to invest the extra as well... If you withhold a dedicated sub, the JL's are the clear choice simply because they will give you the best bass if used alone... Personal preference I know but I do like rear tweeters when gained properly to keep your stage forward... And they certainly do not need to be pointed anywhere but straight at the rear glass because first of all you don't want to purposely overwhelm the front stage, and second, plenty of highs reflect straight forward when bounced off the glass in that circumstance... Nice car man, I hope you are happy with whatever you decide/decided...

irie111

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.