8 gauge wire into 4 gauge on amp?

Would it be fine to run 8 gauge power and ground with amps that have 4 gauge inputs? I want to buy a Rockford fosgate 4 gauge dual amp kit but they have 8 gauge to amps after distribution block would I lose power to my amps which would be a prime 400-4 and a prime 750-1 or a prime 1200-1 haven't decided

For the 400-4 8ga will probably be fine, but for the 750-1 you will want 4ga to get full potential. I'd suggest running 0ga from the front battery to a distro or fuse block with 0 in and dual 4 out, same setup for ground. That would leave some room for upgrades in the future, too.

If you keep the 8 ga wire lengths as short as possible that will be fine for the 400-4 and the 750-1. Wire ampacity is dependent on length, and shorter wires can handle more current.

Ok thanks guys i decided to run 4 gauge total i would run 1/0 but buget is limited and i dont plan to upgrade for this car just a small system so 4 gauge is it, also since the amps have fuses would I still need to run a fuse block before amp? Ill start with just the 400.4 so would I be fine not to run a fuse block before amp just one under hood that comes with kit then when I'm ready to get a sub amp 750.1 ill pick up a fused distrobution block before amps

Ok thanks guys i decided to run 4 gauge total i would run 1/0 but buget is limited and i dont plan to upgrade for this car just a small system so 4 gauge is it, also since the amps have fuses would I still need to run a fuse block before amp? Ill start with just the 400.4 so would I be fine not to run a fuse block before amp just one under hood that comes with kit then when I'm ready to get a sub amp 750.1 ill pick up a fused distrobution block before amps
i sell amp kits , and the amps you'll be using needs 4 gauge wires , that why the inputs are there.the 0 gauge is a better option tho , you can do a cca kit for $100 shipped from me with 2 rca's for the amp , and the distro block ,with 4 gauge wire for the one amp .if you want a kit for both amp with 3 sets of rca's i can do one for $125 shipped . 17 ft power 3 ft ground , 3 sets of rca's, 17 ft remote,12 ft of ofc 4 gauge , the fuse block and fuse and a distro block

No need to fuse just before the amps. You can buy a distribution block (if you need one) without fuses. If you are fused at the battery, and using the fuses in the amps then that is enough protection in my opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

straightshot7
Oklahoma
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
mclerico83
20240518_170822.jpg