8 AWG or 4 AWG for amps power cable?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Drifter mike

CarAudio.com Recruit
Greece
Hello,
I want to buy a 4 channel TRF M600.4AB amplifier (600 watt RMS, 1200 watt max) and connect to it a 12" TRF VLSW122D2 Subwoofer (250 watt RMS) and 2 front JBL Stage 2 604C speakers (6.5'', 45 watt RMS each).
Should i use an 8 AWG power cable to my amp or an 4 AWG?
Also what gauge wire should i use for my speakers? 12 AWG is ok or thinner?

If it’s a real 600 watts, then 4 gauge for power wire. 6 gauge at the very least, but I’d just go with 4.

12 gauge would be good if you want to use it for the speakers, but you could use 16 gauge with that setup and be fine. Or even 14 if you wanted to settle in between. That’s pretty low power though and I’d personally just use 16 gauge wire, unless I already had a spool of the 12.

If it’s a real 600 watts, then 4 gauge for power wire. 6 gauge at the very least, but I’d just go with 4.

12 gauge would be good if you want to use it for the speakers, but you could use 16 gauge with that setup and be fine. Or even 14 if you wanted to settle in between. That’s pretty low power though and I’d personally just use 16 gauge wire, unless I already had a spool of the 12.

I have plenty of 12 gauge wire , so i gona use this. Thank you!

Run 4g for power (or 1/0 if you can). There is no downside to bigger wire, and you won't have to replace it if (when) you go bigger. Speaker wire isn't as important since it's easy to run, but I'd use 12g or the biggest your terminals can fit.

I absolutely HATE running wire, so I am somewhat biased. On the other hand, I've never heard anyone say they wish they used smaller wire, and I've never seen an amp shut down from too much conductivity with the battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...