8 12"s VS Grand Am

stop trying to squeeze every bit of space you can into that box. odds are with all those gaps you`ll never get it sealed up correctly. i thought i was joking with my 1st comment but i see it came to be true.
bet you 10 bucks i will....i might **** as a carpenter.....but i make up for it in fiberglass.....

metal is just a no no for box's. If you look at all walls they use a large box and than everything is braced inside. Than the panel is placed on the front and sealed from the back. With your design your going to have leaks you can use how much glass you want it still won't work.

thank you for being the first person to actually give some helpful insite.....may i ask why i could not use the metal?
did you screw through the metal into the wood??? it will vibrate loose if not. even if you did it's a bad idea.

Thats fine, but he has huge gaps, he is going to glass over. Just don't make sense to me. He needs to start over, period IMHO.
i was being a smart ass. my metal is for bracing purposes only. it can actually pass for a roll cage with nhra.... yes he does need to start over and measure

cardboard templates are your friends!

wow not bad:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 19 (15 members and 4 guests)

Ken448 , adas , BushJ311 , daniel.lindsey , dropped_mazda , GohillaAudio , inapontiac , jadon087 , kpozr2 , Lingerfelt , MisterGrubbs , mr_kebo , SilverSquared , slappinX , smd4life

id say build the area where you need to gap as an amp rach put a 2x4 all way around and put a new back of box against that then you can use other side of 2x4 as frame to either mount amps to to mdf to flus mount the amp/amps that is my opion and seal the crap out of it

Good luck on your first build.

I agree with what has been said, those gaps are simply too big. How hard, in all honesty, would it have been for you to A) use whole pieces of MDF instead of piecing it together and B) take an extra 20 minutes to measure and cut a piece of MDF to place where those gaps are? I'm not the best carpenter in the world, but man come on!

I'm not hatin, I've done some dumb things in my time, but you need to make those gaps smaller, and then glass them. You will regret leaving that large of a gap in there. There is a VERY good chance you wont seal them, but if you are as talented as you say, you should be able to.

Where are your measurements for area coming from? Do you have the room for 8 12's ported? It honestly does look like it at this moment...

Good luck man, I can only wish you the best. If you were closer, I'd lend a helping hand.

untrue.......it doesnt just "crack" it will become brittle over a LONG time......but i change my systems so much......it doesnt matter, duraglass is just a filler to smooth out fiberglass to finish it, and gelcoat is mainly used for mold layups...has nothing to do with structure, unless its in a marine application, then gelcoat acts as a waterproofer...of sorts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

GohillaAudio
springfield, mo
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
cheeto
1000008028.jpg