70amp alt will handle what size system?

EVERYONE is going to have a different answer because every system is going to use power differently. Before I go and sink money into an alternator rebuild, I'd go ahead and get a capacitor. There are all kinds of theories or equations to use but I'd just go with a 1 farad cap. They are VERY easy to use, help a lot on transient current draw and will usually keep your headlights from dimming. Your amp is going to draw the most current while a bass note is playing, obviously. Think of music as an ocean wave, current is consumed faster at the top of the wave and stagnent at a break. In between those peaks, it gives your cap time to "refill" with power and be ready for the next wave. It basically gives you another reserve and keeps your battery from being DIRECTLY drained from.

caps are not 4 that they are for voltage renforcment in no way will they stop your battery from draining. i have seen systems with 15 farad boxxes still die due to weak current suppliers aka alternators........ you are correct about how a cap works but if you realize how much a cap actually holds power wise for a SHORT burst you will see why if your alt is too weak the rest is too...........besides that a good cap costs more than this and to justify my answer a cap will **** juice away from your battery or alt if it can hold more while everything else draws from it to however short bursts you are correct but a cap still needs a good alt and battery to work correctly.....they dont make power they simply store it.

I NEVER said that caps MAKE power. They simply store it. Unless you are running thousands of watts, todays charging systems don't have as much trouble keeping up with charging demands. EVERY system is different. I'm sure that your 15 farad system that you saw wasn't the typical 5 or 600 watt system that most people are running. ALSO, unless you are listening to music with a consistent bass tone, caps have plenty of time to recharge.

by the way....back to the original question or statement, you should EASILY (depending on amp choice) be able to run a 2 to 300 watt system before worrying about a stiffer power system

MOST SYSTEMS ARE MORE THAN 300 WATTS CHRIST MOST PEOPLE HERE RUN A JBL 1200.1 WHICH is 1200 watts alone lol. typical 500 watt system in a honda with a 65 amp alt was "the cap" was in. why spend 100 + for power starage when you can spend that same money and CORRECT the problem? i run a 290 amp alt for a 1400 watt system...no caps .. 3 extra batteries yup i know its overkill but id rather over do it than "barely" have juice.

I'm not talking 1000 watts max. I'm talking some clean watts or "cheater watts" like you can get out of Soundstream or PPI. This is getting nowhere, other than proving my point that everyone has an opinion. By the way, why so many batteries? Also, that "1200 watt" amp you got is its "MAX RATING". You're lucky if you were actually seeing it. That would leave 200 watts to the rest of your system. Sounds as though you've got it all balanced, .....for a basshead.

bass head? haha yuh n my sq system i ran 3 sound stream amps 2 3.0 and a 6.0 3 1 farad caps and 120 amp alt....for a "100" watt car lol why skimp on what gives the power of the system? that is like saying its great to have low blood pressure... oh by the way my old sq car did fairly well and it had a few great tuners.....

yada yada yada yada //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif I think 99DX can go on from here, I don't need to go back and forth to prove my knowledge anymore. I just keep proving my point. Those caps worked well in your "sq car" didn't they? HHHMMMMM, I wonder why that is............//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

yuh so did bumping up my alt 30 amps lol dis prove this i work retail/install i am mecp certified iasca world finalist former rep...bla bla bla how can you store what isnt put out? caps = easy money good profit for retail stores cause they cant rewind an alternatorand i wouldnt run a cap with a stock alt on any system over 500 watts without a big enough alt weak alt= crappy power going into the cap=no help at all..nuff said

lol, do I NEED to start over and explain again. The cap STORES energy, doesn't supply it. 99DX, if you're still out there after this madness, PM or email me if you'd like. I KNOW how they work and to use them. F-16's have some on their engine start system that help store 45,000 volts, it's all a matter of simple electronic application. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif :banghead: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif :banghead:

look dude i know the laws of capacitance ohms law and all that crap took it 7 years ago in college and yes i passed :p i have installed prolly 200 caps and 15 or so alternators for OTHER people all 15 were because a cap wasnt enough most werent "huge" systems either and igniting jet fuel in a jet isnt the same as your car audio system as starting isnt a constant drain...caps as i have learned actually hurt a propper set up system in a car by lowwering voltage .......that is why i no longer run them as a few of my spl buds and actually chris norris showed me it as well that is why i wont waste the money =)

allow me to bow down to the audio king. Igniting jet fuel isn't a constant drain just like a car amplifier isn't a constant drain, or did we forget? Enough already. LOL, I didn't realize you took this so heavily, isn't there anything better to do besides give me a chuckle?

and already misspelling? Shame on you. Maybe you're just getting to frustrated to type, if so, I understand. I mean, you couldn't answer any of my previous questions or statements so why start making sense now.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

wow forgive me for careing to spell right..i thought you could comprehend..my mistake....also you never answered my replies either you just flipped to jets........ and also i might ad how many of those cars you see in mags that run caps dont have a beefed electrical system meaning the alt? in fact what i was saying was if its crappy to start with how the heck is the "extra power not used" gonna keep the system going? caps are just for reinforcement on QUICK AND HEAVY NOTES IS ALL when your car has ac power windows lights windshield wipers and so forth how is a cap an answer? thats like saying being anemic is healthy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

99DX

10+ year member
99DX
Atlanta
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from