70amp alt will handle what size system?

99DX
10+ year member

Atlanta
I was wondering so I dont over do it and have to upgrade my charging system (anouther 200 bucks I cant spend //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

thanks

i think the rule of thumb is about 5 watts of amplifier power per amp provided by your alternator - in your case: 5 x 70 = 350w. but there are many variables. i'm sure others will correct me if i am wrong.

well thats fine if its a nice day and you dont have your headlights and windshield wipers on and maybe the defrosters/ or heater.. then you can drop that by at least 20 amps..BTW I have a 65 amp alt and had no dimming with everhting running pushing about 520 watts..But then again I was running 4 awg and it was less than 8 feet long ,so I went a little overkill but it helped a lot with the current draw of my amps.

Mike

Well I had Planned on using a Fosgate, moster, or streetwires duel amp kit.

Right now I am going to be running a set up something like this.......

Kenwood EXceleron 717 (last year model with free hi fi buys 5 year warrenty since it was a board unit....) 200 bucks instead of their normal 400

infin ref components 6.5 from Ikesound for 115

prob infin ref 6x9's for 100

prob us amps or alpine 4 channel with 60 or so rms (240 rms total)

a 3 some of subs and a mtx 500.1 running about 350 - 400 rms

about 600 total

should I just fork out the cash for an optima or a cap?

Stock electrical systems have been known to supply enough current for a 2000 watt system.

My set up puts out about 1000rms and I have only SLIGHT dimming at very high volumes. At regular listening volume there is no problem at all.

I have a stock 75A alt and a $50 wal-mart battery.

uh oh... i have a 75amp stock alternator and only about 650w rms and some pretty serious dimming and bass drop out when idleing. guess its time for a trip to the repair shop for a look at my alternator.

Originally posted by imral3 uh oh... i have a 75amp stock alternator and only about 650w rms and some pretty serious dimming and bass drop out when idleing. guess its time for a trip to the repair shop for a look at my alternator.
Maybe just an old battery?

What do you think of the kenwood exceleron 717 compared to the alpine 7892

I bought the kenwood for 250 as a board amp but i have heard rumors that the kenwoods start skipping bad after a few months in systems with a lot of bass

is that true?

any other suggestions?

thanks man and congrats on 1k

well i am gonna prepare to get flamed for this lol..lets just say i like the kenwood alot better than most...it does have great sound quality...the alpine will sound better to a microphone but that isnt "ears" ... wouldnt worry about a 'pine with the deal you got anyway...the f1 alpine (again preparing to get flamed) isnt many times better than a entry level unit (sq wise) but it is better...just to get that 10% better sound..it costs alot

I will say this... The kenwood sure looks better. the pre outs are all 4.5v instead of 1.5 and 1.5 to the front and rear and 4 to the subs.

retails for like 400 if i remember right. the alpine is 279 atm (tweeter or hifi buys)

I bought bostons fx series 6x9s and 6.5s 139 and 119 each respectively (my right butt cheek has first degree burns but I didnt like the sound that came from the type R's or the Alpine S. the K wood silvers were nice but about 60 bucks so i went for bostons

now I just dont know what to power them with hehe

i had planed for a V12 fpr 200 or 307 40 rms x 4

I am looking at ordering a 600.4 RF but scared to buy online and I refuse to give best buy 350 for it hehe

I am a cheap B******

What do you think of Crunch blackmaxx or Vdrive stuff. ( I just found out today its made by hifonics

Btw thanks your the only person that really answers me seems like most just skip over posts I read EVERYthing but not being very knowledgable atm I cant help many

Where would one go to start to become an installer. Tweeter?

welp i would look at a 5 channel amp being you seem to like simplistics..you plan on running a sub?...if not i would suggest a memphis studio 16 300-4 or a dei multi channel amp....on line is safe but i am currently waiting on a sub i ordered but they seem to say they havent recieved payment ...(i have reciept of money order) and i think they auctioned something they dont have in stock ....but everything else was straight. ehehe crunch *****..look up the dei amps online i think youll find somethin you'll love....also i think if you ever heard the memphis speakers you woulda gott'em instead of the bostons (and in a 6x9 boston is my second fav)

I have no problem taking those bostons back if I can get better quality stuff at around the same price.

I am looking as we speak but its hard to find those two manuf. selling anywhere only 3 selling on ebay for the memphis

one of them is used

I have a mtx blue thunder 325 rms for the subs (3 10s in a bandpass lol Crunch comps)

that is the next thing I will be fixing but for now that is plenty cause it rattles my gold off my neck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

99DX

10+ year member
99DX
Atlanta
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from