6x9 slope

ender2664

CarAudio.com Recruit
When I set my volume to 70 my system sounds great. When I increase it to 80 my front 6x9s get sloppy/bottom out (for lack of a better term) at lower frequency notes.
Changing the slope from 12 to 18 fixes the problem, but I can tell that I like the 12 slope more.
Would changing from a kicker KS to a morel tempo ultra mkII allow me to run a 12 slope? Or is it not that simple?
The kicker is rated for a lower hz but I'm told the morel can move more quickly/accurately.

Kicker 47KSS6904 in my front doors and the crossover is at 80hz (I like feeling the air move in my footwell).
I have 2 12"s in the trunk.

Last edited:
xmech is the mechanical limit of the speaker - how far the speaker can move before you can expect damage. It's common spec on subs, but you don't see it too often on component speakers.
I don't think most people try to get as much movement out of their speakers as I do, so it isn't too big of a surprise that it isn't listed.
Sadly I can't fit a 8" component set in the door :_(

I don't think most people try to get as much movement out of their speakers as I do, so it isn't too big of a surprise that it isn't listed.
Sadly I can't fit a 8" component set in the door :_(
I doubt an 8" would solve your problem. The 8s with the type of movement you're looking for would create a depth problem and probably force you into 3 way front stage.

When I set my volume to 70 my system sounds great. When I increase it to 80 my front 6x9s get sloppy/bottom out (for lack of a better term) at lower frequency notes.
Changing the slope from 12 to 18 fixes the problem, but I can tell that I like the 12 slope more.
Would changing from a kicker KS to a morel tempo ultra mkII allow me to run a 12 slope? Or is it not that simple?
The kicker is rated for a lower hz but I'm told the morel can move more quickly/accurately.
do you have the speakers on an amplifier at all?? An amplifier will clean quite a bit of distortion up and supply the speakers with the power needed rather than running off an HU with maybe 9-15 watts rms per ch

do you have the speakers on an amplifier at all?? An amplifier will clean quite a bit of distortion up and supply the speakers with the power needed rather than running off an HU with maybe 9-15 watts rms per ch
I have a LC6.1200. Plenty of clean power is getting to the speakers.

Last edited:
Kicker has not been that great for me since the early to late 90s with exception of the KS 25 tweeters I purchased and KQ9Eqs.Speakers havent been up to par for me. Muddy, Harsh srcreaching vocal /mid range areas. I enjoy my CDT, and Polk audio MM series the most of what I have. Infinity Kappa Fiber components have been another favorite for me. These Kappas have a nice range and nice sensitivity range and come with a 3 yr warranty

I have a LC6.1200. Plenty of clean power is getting to the speakers.
Looking at your system that you have posted.. Id ask.. did you seal off your rear deck speakers from the trunk space from the subs? If not.. Those will not last due to the pressure from the subwoofers pushing those cones to the max and distortion and damage will eventually make those speakers fail. I found that out the hard way back in the 90s when everything was much more expensive. I went through 2 set of JBL 6x9s before I figured it out

Last edited:
Looking at your system that you have posted.. Id ask.. did you seal off your rear deck speakers from the trunk space from the subs? If not.. Those will not last due to the pressure from the subwoofers pushing those cones to the max and distortion and damage will eventually make those speakers fail. I found that out the hard way back in the 90s when everything was much more expensive. I went through 2 set of JBL 6x9s before I figured it out
I'm pretty sure his 6x9s are in the doors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...