6x9 slope

When I set my volume to 70 my system sounds great. When I increase it to 80 my front 6x9s get sloppy/bottom out (for lack of a better term) at lower frequency notes.
Changing the slope from 12 to 18 fixes the problem, but I can tell that I like the 12 slope more.
Would changing from a kicker KS to a morel tempo ultra mkII allow me to run a 12 slope? Or is it not that simple?
The kicker is rated for a lower hz but I'm told the morel can move more quickly/accurately.
This sounds like the one set of speakers is getting a clipped signal from the HU (or the amp if you are running one to the 6x9's). Changing speakers is not going to change the outcome if the source material is distorted at that 80 level mark you note. Decent aftermarket brand name speakers are rarely the issue, especially if crossed at 80 Hz regardless if there crossed with a 12db or 18db slope. You’ll get shitty dirty (and potentially damaging) sound from poor source or amplification more often than too much clean power or the inability of the speaker to handle good clean power. I didn’t read what you are running to the 6x9’s.is it just the HU?

Last edited:
I doubt an 8" would solve your problem. The 8s with the type of movement you're looking for would create a depth problem and probably force you into 3 way front stage.
The cone area of an 8" speaker is not much larger than a 6x9, only about a 15% difference overall.

Xmax is realtive to a given speaker and it's desing parameters, not a given size. In this case, Size really doesn't matter. There are 6" subwoofers with huge linear Xmax and professional seris 8" drivers that have very little. xmax s just one compenent in the speaker design, there are trade offs in all designs.

CDT make some excellent speakers. Ive enjoyed mine. Cant wait to get them back in. Im about getting tired of my temp. set up at times. But it still sounds fairly decent atm. I really like Polk MM series components and Infinity Kappa series as well.
The infinity kappas are nice. ive always liked infinity speakers. I have the CDTs in sealed pods in my door, but they sounded better without being in the pod, just had to sound deaden the door really well. They’re designed to run IB. They’re good in the pod, but that 30 HZ-5000hz bandwidth they have isn’t happening in a small sealed pod. I just ordered some Ciare 6.5 inch midbass speakers to try out in my active 3 way setup. Ive never heard Ciare, but their speakers look like they have the goods to be very nice sounding, at least on paper.

The infinity kappas are nice. ive always liked infinity speakers. I have the CDTs in sealed pods in my door, but they sounded better without being in the pod, just had to sound deaden the door really well. They’re designed to run IB. They’re good in the pod, but that 30 HZ-5000hz bandwidth they have isn’t happening in a small sealed pod. I just ordered some Ciare 6.5 inch midbass speakers to try out in my active 3 way setup. Ive never heard Ciare, but their speakers look like they have the goods to be very nice sounding, at least on paper.
Ill take a look at those. Thanks!

This sounds like the one set of speakers is getting a clipped signal from the HU (or the amp if you are running one to the 6x9's). Changing speakers is not going to change the outcome if the source material is distorted at that 80 level mark you note. Decent aftermarket brand name speakers are rarely the issue, especially if crossed at 80 Hz regardless if there crossed with a 12db or 18db slope. You’ll get shitty dirty (and potentially damaging) sound from poor source or amplification more often than too much clean power or the inability of the speaker to handle good clean power. I didn’t read what you are running to the 6x9’s.is it just the HU?
HU to a Musway DSP to a audiocontroll LC6.1200

Last edited:

That’s decent enough. Lots of bells and whistles on the AC amp, are you cascading crossovers or attenuating frequencies strictly from the DSP unit? I always run full pass from the amp crossovers when going active DSP. You could be cascading crossovers and may not know where the slope actually lies. If that was the case, a 6db slope increase or decrease might actually be a 12 or 24db change in the slope and be quite noticeable. Cascading multiple crossovers will make tuning trickier. But, If it goes away by changing the slope then it’s not the HU or the amp. Sounds like an issue with the speaker’s capabilities, nothing else makes sense.

That’s decent enough. Lots of bells and whistles on the AC amp, are you cascading crossovers or attenuating frequencies strictly from the DSP unit? I always run full pass from the amp crossovers when going active DSP. You could be cascading crossovers and may not know where the slope actually lies. If that was the case, a 6db slope increase or decrease might actually be a 12 or 24db change in the slope and be quite noticeable. Cascading multiple crossovers will make tuning trickier. But, If it goes away by changing the slope then it’s not the HU or the amp. Sounds like an issue with the speaker’s capabilities, nothing else makes sense.
The full signal goes to the DSP. The only setting being used on the amp is the accubase.

Might be time to try something new as it sounds like it is the limitaion of the speakers. I’m not in the habit of recommending JBL but a buddy of mine has the JBL Stadium 962C’s and matching coaxial for rear fill and I was very impressed – they are definitely a nice step up from the kickers you have. Glass fiber cones, alloy tweeters, slightly larger cone area on the 6x9 woofer, higher sensitivity, a little lower impedance (3ohm) so a little louder and will handle about 30% more power. I would rank them above the Alpine R2’s, and on a par with the Morel Tempo Ultra MKll. And since you mentioned Morel and I am familiar with their products let me say that one of the main reasons you by Morel is for the AcuFlex treated tweeters and they don’t make a 6x9 component with that tweeter. It’s what sets them apart from every other silk dome tweeter on the market, IMHO. I’ve heard good things about the CDT Audio HD-690COM too. The JBL’s seem to match up well with the quality level of your equipment. Good luck and keep us posted wither way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...