Speakers upgrade with stock headunit

mikegudar

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mexico
I own a 2016 Honda HR-V EX-L Navi with a 180w audio system. The stock speakers are just OK, they lack treble and clarity, making the music sound a bit plain. I don't plan on upgrading the head unit or installing an amp, but I want to improve the sound quality by updating the door speakers. I'm considering two options:

Option 1: JBL Stage1 621 (Priced at $60)
  • Type: 6-1/2" (160mm) Two-Way Car Speaker
  • Power Handling: 35Wrms, 175W peak
  • Sensitivity (@2.83V): 90dB
  • Frequency Response: 55Hz – 20kHz
  • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Option 2: JBL Stage3 627 (Priced at $90)
  • Type: 6-1/2" (160mm) 2-Way Coaxial Car Speaker
  • Power Handling: 45W RMS, 225W (Peak)
  • Sensitivity (@2.83V/1m): 92dB
  • Frequency Response: 55Hz - 20kHz
  • Impedance: 3 ohms
Which option do you think would be the better choice? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Consider these from NVX.

NSP65 540W Peak (180W RMS) 6.5" N-Series 2-Way Coaxial Speakers with 20mm Silk Dome Tweeters
They will add life to your existing sytem and wont break the bank ($79.99, a pair on Amazon). Remember, most stock HU's have internal HP filtration that cuts out the low end at around >60hz. I've used these speakers with great sucess in the application you are considering. I like JBL equipment from years gone by, but todays stuff, while decent is not the same. Not a fan of the Polyetherimide tweeters, they have a nasty peak at around 18khz if i recall and they are not particullary accurate. Stage 3's are out of the question when using a stock HU unlees your replacing BOSE factory speakers which are rated at 2ohms already. The NVX's are well built and use a nice
.75" silk dome tweeter, a proper coaxial and a no brainer in my book.

Last edited:
I own a 2016 Honda HR-V EX-L Navi with a 180w audio system. The stock speakers are just OK, they lack treble and clarity, making the music sound a bit plain. I don't plan on upgrading the head unit or installing an amp, but I want to improve the sound quality by updating the door speakers. I'm considering two options:

Option 1: JBL Stage1 621 (Priced at $60)
  • Type: 6-1/2" (160mm) Two-Way Car Speaker
  • Power Handling: 35Wrms, 175W peak
  • Sensitivity (@2.83V): 90dB
  • Frequency Response: 55Hz – 20kHz
  • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Option 2: JBL Stage3 627 (Priced at $90)
  • Type: 6-1/2" (160mm) 2-Way Coaxial Car Speaker
  • Power Handling: 45W RMS, 225W (Peak)
  • Sensitivity (@2.83V/1m): 92dB
  • Frequency Response: 55Hz - 20kHz
  • Impedance: 3 ohms
Which option do you think would be the better choice? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Is the an OEM amp? What is the ohm rating on the OEM speakers?

My grandson has the same OEM setup in his Honda fit. We added the NVX NSP65KIT series 6.5" Components up front ($79.99 Sonic Elctronics) and the NVX NSP65 Coaxials in the rear ($79.99). If you don't want to install components up front, go with the coaxials all the way around. Very impressed with the improvment! Quite clear and great volume. Again, not a fan of the JBL tweeters at this price point, prefer a good silk dome over the vaped metal deposited poly-plastic you see on the JBL's an many others at this price point. The stuff we removed was all 4ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...