6th order question

galacticmonkey
5,000+ posts

Wants a button like that.
Tampa, FL
Ill be having 2 BTL 18s pretty soon. Thinking of maybe trying a 6th order. Have 2,000rms for each and about 24 cubes total to work with internally after double layering whole box.

Ive done alot of 4th orders, but never a 6th order. Im looking for a series tuned, not parallel tuned. I really want good output from the low 20hz region to about 50hz.

What would be a good enclosure to try? What airspace, tuning, and port area for the front and rear chambers?

24 cubes is fine gmonk...u have room for it...10cubes tuned to 32hz for the rear chamber 14cubes tuned anywhere between 60-75hz and u should be fine...

make sure its series tuned

oh wait u have a avalanche now....go parallel tuned

heres a pic of a parallel tuned box in a avalanche...

I heard a 6th order for a single BTL 18 that was series tuned and the thing was nasty. Never heard a parallel tuned.

If I did a series tuned with the specs you gave, how much port area should each port have?

I heard a 6th order for a single BTL 18 that was series tuned and the thing was nasty. Never heard a parallel tuned.
If I did a series tuned with the specs you gave, how much port area should each port have?
hmm u lookin at 120 square inches for the 10cube chamber and atleast 300 for the 14cube chamber...make it as big as u can

Series tuned has one chamber firing into the other ported chamber volume while a parallel tuned bandpass will have both ports firing to the environment.
Wait a minute, so series tuned is just a double bass reflex?
dbbassflex.gif

Wait a minute, so series tuned is just a double bass reflex?
dbbassflex.gif
Close but not really. In that picture, only the port drives the second chamber while in a 6th order bandpass, the speaker fires into both chambers. A double bass reflex enclosure will not have a bandpass response and thus isn't a bandpass. I believe it is still a 6th order filter though, just not a bandpass.

Close but not really. In that picture, only the port drives the second chamber while in a 6th order bandpass, the speaker fires into both chambers. A double bass reflex enclosure will not have a bandpass response and thus isn't a bandpass. I believe it is still a 6th order filter though, just not a bandpass.
No I understand what a 6th order bandpass was the second definition that you gave: the shared panel between the two ported chambers has the drivers:
dual_bandpass.gif

And as typical, a 4th order is:

bandpass.gif

I know that a DBR doesn't have a bandpass response at all since it's mainly used for full-range drivers, which is what I was wondering what the difference is, aka, what am I missing?

4th order: Sealed back chamber, ported front chamber.

Parallel 6th order: Ported back, ported front. Both ported to the outside.

Series 6th order: Ported back, ported front. Back ported into front chamber, front chamber ported to outside.

Im messing around with Sketchup... Idk what I want to do.

I dont really have enough room for a series tuned 6th order going with the specs 80 gave. Wish I did. End up a couple cubes short on the front chamber. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.