6 speakers on 4 channel amp?

Revelle

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
This may be dumb question but, haven't found a similar one answered.

I'm looking at getting a AudioControl D-4.800. I was curious if it would be possible to run my left front and rear mids on one channel, the right front and rear mids on another channel, and then tweeters on the other two channels.

Would that work correctly or would having both front and rear speakers on one channel not sound right? Would I just be better using the passive crossovers?

This may be dumb question but, haven't found a similar one answered.

I'm looking at getting a AudioControl D-4.800. I was curious if it would be possible to run my left front and rear mids on one channel, the right front and rear mids on another channel, and then tweeters on the other two channels.

Would that work correctly or would having both front and rear speakers on one channel not sound right? Would I just be better using the passive crossovers?
That would actually be the correct way to do it if using electronic x-overs. Just make sure each mid channel can handle the Ohm load of the paralleled mids.

That would actually be the correct way to do it if using electronic x-overs. Just make sure each mid channel can handle the Ohm load of the paralleled mids.
Ok so it seems doable.
Yea I haven't decided on the speakers yet but most of what I'm looking at for my price range are 4ohm and around 60w rms. So wired together would get me 2ohm on each channel which the audiocontrol is rated for 200x4 at 2 ohm.
Now I'm trying to decide if I want to run components in the rear door or just mids. Probably just mids as I'm not too sure I want to cut up my new vehicle lol

For most music you probably wouldn't notice, but if you ever tried to listen to old "psychadelic rock" type of music that has the fade from side to side, it will sound off. You're also combining your front and rear channels which isn't the best way to do it.

If you haven't bought any of this yet, why not get a 6 ch amp? Why not, get a set of components for the front that are 200w, and then add a set of mids for the rear channel.

If all that's in your budget are 60w speakers, why are you spending $1K on an amp, and wiring them in, "not the best way". (It's not the best way to go about it, considering you haven't bought anything yet).

What you're suggesting will work, It's certainly not the way to go about planning, when you haven't bought anything yet. No way would I plan on buying everything and combining my front and rear stage like you're suggesting.

Last edited:
For most music you probably wouldn't notice, but if you ever tried to listen to old "psychadelic rock" type of music that has the fade from side to side, it will sound off. You're also combining your front and rear channels which isn't the best way to do it.

If you haven't bought any of this yet, why not get a 6 ch amp? Why not, get a set of components for the front that are 200w, and then add a set of mids for the rear channel.

If all that's in your budget are 60w speakers, why are you spending $1K on an amp, and wiring them in, "not the best way". (It's not the best way to go about it, considering you haven't bought anything yet).

What you're suggesting will work, It's certainly not the way to go about planning, when you haven't bought anything yet. No way would I plan on buying everything and combining my front and rear stage like you're suggesting.
Well, the main reason for all this is I found a D-4.800 for around $400, so I was originally planning on the normal passive 4 channel setup until I started reading about active since this has a DSP and thinking I might could get some active setup with this.
I see a lot of people talk about not even running rear speakers in their cars, wouldn't what I'm thinking of doing be similar? I would just have the mids behind me as well to fill in the back seats. The tweets would still be separate, and I would still also have the left and right separation for those "psychadelic rock" songs you mentioned. Or am I missing something.

If he ran 4 component sets, one for each channel, how would it be different from running 2 tweeters per channel on front channels and 2 midranges per channel on the rear channels? Only the Fade would be missing.
Right. The fade would be missing and so would the adjustability. He's also not planning on running four sets of components, so come back down to the thread.

Well, the main reason for all this is I found a D-4.800 for around $400, so I was originally planning on the normal passive 4 channel setup until I started reading about active since this has a DSP and thinking I might could get some active setup with this.
I see a lot of people talk about not even running rear speakers in their cars, wouldn't what I'm thinking of doing be similar? I would just have the mids behind me as well to fill in the back seats. The tweets would still be separate, and I would still also have the left and right separation for those "psychadelic rock" songs you mentioned. Or am I missing something.
A good deal can certainly change things.

As for not running rear speakers, its certainly not required to hear what you have, but it depends on a few things. The kind of vehicle its going in, the kind of music you listen to, what your overall plan is for the stereo. Some vehicles, just don't have good placement for the rears, (4 door pickups when you rarely have anyone in the rear, or only have kids in the rear is an obvious one). Bass filled rap music, where its mostly vocals just doesn't make much sense when on a budget to go for a good rear setup. If you listen to classical, and want to feel like you are among the symphony, THEN YES, YOU DO!!!! It depends on you.

I still think there are better ways to do it. You can get a 2ch x 100w amp for $100. You could run components off the front channel on the 4ch amp. You could just focus on the front stage with your 4 ch amp, run tweets and mids, and then take your time figuring out the rears. See if you need em, see if you want more mid, or more overall, so you know if you need more components, a budget 2 way, or just another midrange.

Its your stereo, do your thing, and I'm just trying to make a small effort at talking you out of it because I think there are better ways to go about it, but at least know and consider what your options are.

A good deal can certainly change things.

As for not running rear speakers, its certainly not required to hear what you have, but it depends on a few things. The kind of vehicle its going in, the kind of music you listen to, what your overall plan is for the stereo. Some vehicles, just don't have good placement for the rears, (4 door pickups when you rarely have anyone in the rear, or only have kids in the rear is an obvious one). Bass filled rap music, where its mostly vocals just doesn't make much sense when on a budget to go for a good rear setup. If you listen to classical, and want to feel like you are among the symphony, THEN YES, YOU DO!!!! It depends on you.

I still think there are better ways to do it. You can get a 2ch x 100w amp for $100. You could run components off the front channel on the 4ch amp. You could just focus on the front stage with your 4 ch amp, run tweets and mids, and then take your time figuring out the rears. See if you need em, see if you want more mid, or more overall, so you know if you need more components, a budget 2 way, or just another midrange.

Its your stereo, do your thing, and I'm just trying to make a small effort at talking you out of it because I think there are better ways to go about it, but at least know and consider what your options are.
Yea this will be going in a 4 door f150, I do have subs, and mostly listen to rap/pop/country so going only front for now may be the move.

Sony has brought back out awhile ago there XM line and all of them have stellar reviews. 5 or 6 channel with a built in DSP for 398 dollars. I know the 4 channel version of this did more then what they claim rated. You could use channels 1&2 for tweeters, 3&4 for midrange and then 5&6 for the midbass.

Last edited:
Yea this will be going in a 4 door f150, I do have subs, and mostly listen to rap/pop/country so going only front for now may be the move.
Ahhh, I would think your focus should be on midrange. If that was me, for that amp and budget, find a good set of components with most of your remaining budget, and find a budget set of mids or even two ways for the rear channel. In a 4dr pickup, the rears aren't going to do much for the driver. They help fill the sound stage, and they make sure the rear passengers can hear, but if this is for you, the back seat should take a back seat to the front, (I'm frickin hilarious).

The only other thing to consider is that amp is 125w x 4 ( = 500w). Then if its 85% efficient you are 500w / .85 = 588 / 14.4 = 40.8 amps. When you play that amp on full you are adding a 40 amp draw to your electrical. Most likely your battery is good, but your alternator is more likely to have trouble if its a smaller size. If you listen to it on full for hours, have on your AC, your lights, maybe something plugged into draw power, then upgrading electrical might be required. I personally believe that the big 3 will help just about everyone, and especially if you add amps. The wiring and tools might be something to factor in to the budget or decision (~$30-$80).

If he ran 4 component sets, one for each channel, how would it be different from running 2 tweeters per channel on front channels and 2 midranges per channel on the rear channels? Only the Fade would be missing.
That will work fine. I have my 4 channel amp (SSA IC150.4) powering 2 sets of SSA Evil 6.5s (front and rear) on channels 3/4 and a pair of SSA Evil 1" tweeters on channels 1/2. It sounds amazing and I'm very happy with it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...