6.5" comp set under 300

Participant count
  • Participant list

snipe523
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Troy, NY
Hi I am looking to replace my Polk EX365 coax's in my front doors soon with a good component set. I am looking for a set that has very good midbass and a nice detailed tweet that isnt too harsh. I have only listened to a couple sets so far and am looking for some opinons on what else might be good. I have listened to the MB Quart premium i think it is comp set. They sounded very nice and right now are what im looking at. I also heard some JL's, Alpines, and the Polk Momo's and didn't really care for them too much. So if anyone can recommend something else that might be worth taking a look at I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by snipe523 Hi I am looking to replace my Polk EX365 coax's in my front doors soon with a good component set. I am looking for a set that has very good midbass and a nice detailed tweet that isnt too harsh. I have only listened to a couple sets so far and am looking for some opinons on what else might be good. I have listened to the MB Quart premium i think it is comp set. They sounded very nice and right now are what im looking at. I also heard some JL's, Alpines, and the Polk Momo's and didn't really care for them too much. So if anyone can recommend something else that might be worth taking a look at I'd appreciate it.
tweeters that are not too harsh to the ears...siilk dome perhaps? titanium domes sound very sharp, whiile silk domes are supposed to deliver a smoother, softer tone. A nice detailed tweet, I don't know what this means.

MB premium would be the PSD's? They are the mid-level comps by MB's, if I remember correctly. If you like, you could try the Q's.. they sound better to me... but for that price, there are others which might be a better choice.

some people have had problems with mb quarts not delievering enough midbass, so maybe another brand is what you might want to go for. I don't know if you are aware fo a brand called Adire(http://www.adireaudio.com), they are the ones that make the brahma, shiva, etc subs. They have a component set called the Koda (butt-ugly to me, but adire's always known for non-nonsense build quality, so therefore, the lack of vanity) and according to the people that have used them, is it supposed to be very impressive. I am not sure of the prices, so you might have to do a search on it in the forum(keyword "koda")

JL's comp sets has gotten quite optimistic reviews here, although the only major disadvantages are the fact that it's expensive, and JL is not what you might call popular around here.

CDT's are supposed to be very good drivers, and high grade components are currently on half-price sale (reason: the color of the paint for the basket was a bit off, according ot CDT) in a website, which I'm sure in less than 12 hours, someone is going to tell you cause I don't know where it is. (a lot fo things I don't know..:p)

I personally like rockford fosgate products, but at the same time, admit there are better equipmetns for that sort of money. RF's higher grade FNX comps have gotten aobve average reviews, and have heard at a shop for a short time. Not bad, not bad.

Focal is a brand that is well-known for SQ drivers, and their comps come in a variety of classes. I don't know if they'll give you lots of bass, it's an SQ driver.

For me, within one brand, if something is more expensive, there is a reason and in my experience, have always seen that the more expensive ones sound better (how much better is for you to judge).

The best thing would be for you to find out more, narrow down your choices, and then go to your local audio shop and try to see if you can listen to the ones you've made your mind up with.

Originally posted by paikiah CDT's are supposed to be very good drivers, and high grade components are currently on half-price sale (reason: the color of the paint for the basket was a bit off, according ot CDT) in a website, which I'm sure in less than 12 hours, someone is going to tell you cause I don't know where it is. (a lot fo things I don't know..:p)
thezeb.com

Originally posted by snipe523 As the title says under $300
LoL. My bad i cant read... I like the mb quarts you talked about and also look at the kicker reference series i liked them a lot but everybody has different tastes so the best thing to do would be to listen to as many as possible. the kodas would prolly be out of your price range but i have heard those are really sweet too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.