6.5 comps to run off HU only... in 2.5 inch door depth?

Participant count
  • Participant list

shovel99

Hi guys,

Sorry for just one more dweeb question "best 6.5 for less than $200" ... but I have been through 4 cars and 10-15 sets of the wrong speakers trying to get just decent sound from a basic quality Head Unit and standard location door speakers.

The latest car is a Toyota Highlander, new Sony head unit with 4x18 (52), and has standard door cutouts to accept 6.5 inch or 6.75 inch speakers in both front and rear doors. I have most recently tried Infinity 6022si and polk db 651S, and the factory pioneers (basic factory radio and speakers, not upgraded in any way) have superior bass to either of these speakers. And this, after I just installed dynamat door kit on all 4 doors... both on the outside door skin and on the inside.

Unless I laminate up a custom bracket, cut through the door panel, I am limited to 2.5 inches of top mount depth. I will do that if there isn't a pretty good solution, I would just rather leave the panel stock so I can put the factory speakers back in on resale.

I have seen some raves of Focal 165 CA1's, but they are 2.7 deep, and Pioneer 720 D have gotten rave reviews by several members. Any there other good choices?

I now have six pairs of mass market crap speakers piled up in my shop and don't need more piles. Help, please! And thanks so much in advance.

If there is a clever way to hide a small amp up under the dash or wheverever in a Highlander, and that is going to be a necessity to get the right sounc, I can certainly afford it, it just seems like there has to be a decent choice out there. I am an audiophile speaker builder and there are 6.5 inch woofers all day that will go flat to 40hz, 90 dB efficiency, and flat out to 3k hz.

They don't make many of them for cars because they want to sell you more stuff, it appears, and it is rather annoying. Or, they are optimizing crummy sounding midrange empasized speakers because they attract attention in the showrooms.

Pardon the rant, this has been incredibly agonizing. Looking forward to your thoughts! Paul in Atlanta

keep in mind that factory speaker is probably rated at about 10 watts rms. and there are lots of amps out there small enough to hide like the Arc Mini amps they are about the size of a 4x7 speaker. there should be a few lines out there that have a slim line available.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.