6.5" components for $250-300 range

ghart999
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Gong into a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. Stock radio but going with Audio Control Para EQ and line booster. Amp is not decided on yet. But something around 4x50 @ 4ohm. i plan on running some cheap $100 coax in the rear doors unless you convince me otherwise to put the money in front comps.

Thanks

Gong into a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. Stock radio but going with Audio Control Para EQ and line booster. Amp is not decided on yet. But something around 4x50 @ 4ohm. i plan on running some cheap $100 coax in the rear doors unless you convince me otherwise to put the money in front comps.

Thanks
Better off putting all the money into running the front stage active with a 4ch amp that has a BPF option. Depends if you want loud or SQ. The silver flute and silk dome tweeter combo has been a long standing go to

Better off putting all the money into running the front stage active with a 4ch amp that has a BPF option. Depends if you want loud or SQ. The silver flute and silk dome tweeter combo has been a long standing go to

Quick question. Would it be better up front with a mid-bass/tweeter combo or a midrange/tweeter combo? I mean like a 6-1/2" midbass, not a big 8".

Thanks
Your factory hu is going to to have factory eq. It will cause roll off on your mid/highs and sub. Check this out

then grab that ts400x4 taramps ($70) and run some silver flutes 6.5’s and ct2 tweeters. Skip rears. For Less than $150 for that speaker combination will be tough if not impossible to beat with any 250$ Passive comp set.

that’s like $350 in gear for great front stage not just a set of comps that won’t be optimized with factory hu

Your factory hu is going to to have factory eq. It will cause roll off on your mid/highs and sub. Check this out

then grab that ts400x4 taramps ($70) and run some silver flutes 6.5’s and ct2 tweeters. Skip rears. For Less than $150 for that speaker combination will be tough if not impossible to beat with any 250$ Passive comp set.

that’s like $350 in gear for great front stage not just a set of comps that won’t be optimized with factory hu

I personally think midbass is better than midrange up front.

Thank you. Can you explain the roll off a bit and how the Pioneer unit will help? If the problem starts at the HU, how would any downstream component help fix it. I was planning on the Audio Control DQ61. But having more control with a 31 band EQ that's controllable is nice. But how does the Pioneer work since it has an amp? I wouldn't be using it right? Just passing through onto the Taramps you suggested?

Thank you. Can you explain the roll off a bit and how the Pioneer unit will help? If the problem starts at the HU, how would any downstream component help fix it. I was planning on the Audio Control DQ61. But having more control with a 31 band EQ that's controllable is nice. But how does the Pioneer work since it has an amp? I wouldn't be using it right? Just passing through onto the Taramps you suggested?
So factory headunit has factory eq curves set to protect factory speakers. Wether you go aftermarket speakers or not, de-equalizing that factory eq with the pioneer unit will give you a full flat signal that you can then tune with 31 band range. The pioneer has an internal amp but it’s only 22 watts. It also has preouts for aftermarket amps. Pretty robust for 125$ the dq61 has signal summing so it sums the factory signals, it doesn’t enable a fuller signal. Yes I just said fuller.

So factory headunit has factory eq curves set to protect factory speakers. Wether you go aftermarket speakers or not, de-equalizing that factory eq with the pioneer unit will give you a full flat signal that you can then tune with 31 band range. The pioneer has an internal amp but it’s only 22 watts. It also has preouts for aftermarket amps. Pretty robust for 125$ the dq61 has signal summing so it sums the factory signals, it doesn’t enable a fuller signal. Yes I just said fuller.

Sounds like the perfect piece at half the price of the dq61. People seem to like crossing the Silver Flutes between 60Hz - 2KHz. Then let the CT2 take over at 2KHz. And your confident in the Taramps 400x4 is not a POS for $68? Seems way too good to be true at this price and that it's class D and not A/B.

Class d four channels have better efficiency. Most novices won’t hear the difference between an a/b although all the sq guys will prefer the a/b’s... don’t sweat that. If you have a few more bucks the pioneer gmd-8704 is a Budget gem at 120$ And has a small footprint too.

Better efficiency means less amp draw? Do you really think Taramps MD-1200.1 and the 400x4 and still better than a decent 5-channel in the $350 price range?

Better efficiency meaning less amperage draw from your electrical to get power. getting decent power out of a fifth channel can be expensive. Plus being able to get a one ohm load for your subs will be more juice and more efficient. The sundown 1100.5 for example is is half bridge(more draw on electrical system), $500+, and only puts out 800 watts to the rear channel

you’ll be pleased with an md1200. It’s rated at 12v too so if you’re electrical is solidified you’ll get great output

OK OK. I will go this route. Will be getting the following:

Silver Flutes
MA CT-2s
Taramps Amps
DEC-S1000a DSP
Sundown SA12 v.2

Already found 36sf of Dynamat Extreme for $100 on Craigs.

Thank you for the help!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.