5x7/6x8 vs. 6x9

Participant count
  • Participant list

smokeoff
10+ year member

here's my 3 cents
Cambria,WI
I already have 2 subs to take care of my bass so I am not worried about that. How ever I want some more mid and high notes but don't have the money for an amp and componate set. So should I by a 6x9 box and but a 3 or 4 way in the back of my car or would a 2 way 5x7 alpine type-s or a high end 5x7 polk take care of what I want?

what kind of car is it? I would recommend upgrading your front speakers before doing anything to the rear. You dont absolutely have to have a nice component set up there, but I would suggest that you look at round speakers as opposed to oval speakers...

1997 ford taurus(?) GL. And I ment to say the 5x7s would go up front. Don't know if I could get those 6.5" in their.

Originally posted by smokeoff 1997 ford taurus(?) GL. And I ment to say the 5x7s would go up front. Don't know if I could get those 6.5" in their.
make a plate that is 5x7" and cut out the size of the speaker i've done it before in my best friends taurus and his g/f's contour. hehe i charged them a **** load b/c shops around here are like "no it won't fit" i tell em i can make it fit but i charge like 60 bucks for the pair when it's 2 dollars in wood and 30 minutes of time to make the template. you make the cutout to fill the hole out of 1/2" MDF is what i used then cut out the size of the speaker from the mold you already made then drill the holes for the new speaker to stay in the MDF and make cut outs in the MDF to fit the stock predrill holes. it's realyl rather fun and people look at you like your tight when you show em you got 6.5"s to fit in 5x7" spots. lemme know if your interested in the speakers though man, i could prolly make you the templates if you want me too just cost a lil extra.

adam

If it would fit I am intrested man. What year was your friends taurus cause in mine I have to make sure it doesn't stick out to far otherwise it will hit the in side of the door. It also sounds like most people prefer round speakers vs. ovals. Why is this, do the rounds realy sound that much better. and last if the 6.5" thing doesn't work out I would still like your and other peoples opinion on the polk vs. alpine deal.

THANX

The reason no one really like any oval speakers is cuz at high volumes the cones deform and distort the sound. If you dont believe me, look at a 6x9's surround when being pushed to excursion limits, its a funky site believe me.

I believe ya. I just didn't know why. But lets say I am not going to push them to thier limits. mainly just want a little more mid and more high notes running them off of my deck wich is about 22 rms and 50 peak per channel.

thanx. round it is. would 5.5" sound just as good as 6.5" or should I go with bumpin on the 6.5". Cause I know that they make a 5" adaptor ring for my car.

I'll be making some 6x8 -to- 6.5" adapter plates for my 1998 Mustang GT this week and will take photos along the way for those of you who are curious. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.