50wrms speaker, to bridge or not?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jerialyz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all, i have a can am spyder with 2 speakers system, i already installed an stetsom 400.4 at 4ohm using 2 channels in stereo wih oem speakers. Supposed to be 66w at this mode.i have the gain set output voltage at 14.1 @1khz .Now im gonna replace speakers with some 50w rms , will it sound better if i bridge the amp to produce 200rms to use the remaining to ch and set gain to limit voltage around 15.5v to save the speakers or is the same at 15.5v set in stereo 66w rms?

Last edited:
I see on Amazon, it's @13.8v 60w x 4 @ 4ohm RMS.

If you set gain AC voltage to 14.1v that's 50w per channel.
60w per channel is 15.5v AC.

If all you want is 50w RMS, can't you just do that off the head unit?

If that's me I'm not going to waste the amp, I'm either getting 4 speakers for channels and speakers that are 50-60w per channel RMS, or I'm bridging and getting a set of components or two ways that are 150-200w RMS per channel.

If you bridge it, it's at 4 ohms 2 ch. If you don't its 4ohms @ 4ch. So you will set the gain to the same voltage if you want the same wattage.
The difference is if you run it at 4 ch with two speakers, you are still sending out the voltage for all four. Which means your amp will still draw from your electrical for all four (60w x 2 vs 60w x 4). If you bridge it so that it's two channels, you set the same voltage but you're only drawing for 2 ch, (half the power) is being drawn. It's not much, it's the difference in about 10-12 amps. No clue if that makes a difference on a Can Am.

Just to be clear, it's the same voltage going out to the speakers, but wiring it up is twice as much of a draw on the electrical (for the same wattage). If you haven't bought the speakers yet, I would see if I can fit two more. If not, I'm getting ones that could be louder, (especially on an open air vehicle like a Can Am).

Thanks for the response, OEM are like components style, 2 tweeter and 2 weird- 4.5" mid. Have like a 20watts amp, im running right now the 4 OEM with the Stetsom,but have a set of infinity reference 5032cfx that is 3 ohm and 91 sensitivity. Also a set of pioneer tsa1370. Im planning to test both to see which i like more, keep in mind im gonna have 2 channel available since gonna remove the oem tweeter thats why im asking about bridging, and the bigger speakers i can fit is 5.25 with a 3d print adapter plate we are making.my model is f3T so don't have the rear baggage seat that fit 2 more speakers.

3 ohms speakers are generally what some manufacturers do with factory systems, and wire the components in series. If your amp can do 2 ohm and 4 ohm, then it can definitely do 3 ohm, and therefor also might designed for lower wattage. If you already have em no reason you can't give em a try.

You're going to want tweeters if you're doing components or not doing two/three ways.

Sounds like what you need instead is a set of crossovers. Crossovers split the frequencies. Crossovers go between your amp and speakers. They take the outgoing amp signal, and split the frequencies at their preset range so that the mids get their range, and the tweeters get their range. This way they both get the full power output from the amp.
So instead of sending
4 x 50w with full range to tweeters and two mids, you send out
2 x 50w, the crossover splits it about 3K-3500hz, and you get two mids getting below 3K @ 50w, and you get two tweeters getting above 3K @ 50w.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...