5 channel Class A, Class AB, Class D amp?

LeadSlinger
10+ year member

I read about one of these the other day; it's a 5ch amp with class A for highs, class AB for mids, and a class D for the sub. Problem is I don't remember who makes it and my search history got deleted. Lame.

Anyone out there know who makes one? Thanks!

I have never heard one. It must be one of the "boutique" amplifier brands, if such thing exists. The only ones I have heard of are straight class A/B, or straight class D, or a Class A/B on highs and class D on sub channel.

Sounds like some BS marketing like Critical Mass who claim a class A amp.

Trust and believe you'll never see more than 10W class A power in a car and even that's impractical

Wait, I found it! Audison Voce AV5.1k. At 4Ohms, 75Wx2 (class A) + 140x2 (class AB) + 600W (class D).

Audison Voce - AV 5.1k

I don't know my solid state amps as well as I know tubes, but with tube amps class A (push only) is not as accurate of a sound as class AB (push-pull). But guitar players aren't always looking for an accurate sound (why low wattage amps are so in demand - you can push them in to overdrive at lower volume), maybe it means something different in the solid state world? Anyone know?

Wait, I found it! Audison Voce AV5.1k. At 4Ohms, 75Wx2 (class A) + 140x2 (class AB) + 600W (class D).
Audison Voce - AV 5.1k

I don't know my solid state amps as well as I know tubes, but with tube amps class A (push only) is not as accurate of a sound as class AB (push-pull). But guitar players aren't always looking for an accurate sound (why low wattage amps are so in demand - you can push them in to overdrive at lower volume), maybe it means something different in the solid state world? Anyone know?
it's got good cleans on the A & A/B side

I don't know my solid state amps as well as I know tubes, but with tube amps class A (push only) is not as accurate of a sound as class AB (push-pull).
The only vacuum tube Class A configuration I've used was transformer coupled.

Solid state is different, they run a psuedo complimentary/symmetry topology that's transformerless. You can bias Class A into the most linear region of the output device's characteristic curves. With the output devices conducting for the full 360 degrees of signal, you get lower harmonic and intermodulation distortion, better transient response, and less phase shift than A/B.

The question is are those advantages worth the extra heat.

I have the Audison LRx5.1k, which is the older version. I just want to say that the "A" channels are not class A, but class A "biased". I can't remember were I read that, on their site somewhere but I fail to find it again. The power ratings I see are a bit different too. Whereas the LRx is 50 x 2 Class A biased (4 ohms), 160 x 2 Class AB (4 ohms), 1150 x 1 Class D (2 ohms), vs the Voce 75 x 2 Class A(4ohms), 140 x 2 Class AB (4 ohms), 100 x 1 Class D (2 ohms). All in all, I prefer the power the LRx has over the Voce, but like the Voce's features more.

I have the Audison LRx5.1k, which is the older version. I just want to say that the "A" channels are not class A, but class A "biased". I can't remember were I read that, on their site somewhere but I fail to find it again. The power ratings I see are a bit different too. Whereas the LRx is 50 x 2 Class A biased (4 ohms), 160 x 2 Class AB (4 ohms), 1150 x 1 Class D (2 ohms), vs the Voce 75 x 2 Class A(4ohms), 140 x 2 Class AB (4 ohms), 100 x 1 Class D (2 ohms). All in all, I prefer the power the LRx has over the Voce, but like the Voce's features more.
I think your numbers on the voice 5.1k is wrong

Those numbers are straight from their site.

As I reread my post, a 0 was left out. The 5th ch is 1000 x 1 @ 2 ohms, not 100. I suspect that's what you were referring to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.