5 channel amp recommendations?

dalegribs
10+ year member

US
Been a while since I last put together a car audio system so I am a good bit out of the loop.

Currently have a Jeep with the existing Infinty Gold package so I am looking to rip that stuff out and get some new stuff in there.

So far, I have just the head unit, a JVC KD-X80BT

I am looking for a 5 channel amp so i can hook up some front and rear speakers, possibly components for the front and just midrange for rear, and a single subwoofer, possibly a 10" alpine type r. I'm not looking to win any competitions by any means, just a solid upgrade from factory audio.

So what is junk, and what isn't? I found a couple of cheap 5 channel amps in the $200 -250 range. An RE Audio XTX500.5, and a Rockford Fosgate R600-5.

The Alpine MRX-V70 also looks like it could be solid, from some reviews I have read.

I've also come across some a JBL 5 channel and a Infinity Kappa 5 channel that went for $250+.

I'm thinking I could possibly find one those used on ebay for a good deal.

So, out of those amps, what is good/junk. Also, any recommendations for other 5 channel amps south of $250, that would fit my needs, and not be junk?

I want clear audio, and a stable amp.. I would hate to get a crappy amp just to see it over heat, cut off, etc. Thanks! I know this is a pretty broad question, but I am just trying to get a basis from which to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpine MRX-V70 would be my pick. This and the previous version (V60) have a good reputation. Kenwood XR-5S is supposed to be good. Infinity Kappa 5 is somewhat bigger in size than these, and I have seen some reviews where people had reliability problems with this one. The new JBL GTO-5EZ also looks interesting, but is too new to have many reviews. The full range section is class A/B. The sub channel is class D.

Thanks for the response. I tried running a search on that Alpine model on this site but didn't come up with much.

Good to hear that is well respected. I also like that it has a small footprint. I am planning on installing this under the rear seat where space is limited

For that alpine, is it possible to run the sub channel at 2ohm, while keeping the rest of the channels at 4ohm?

Right, I understand $250 will not get me anywhere near top of the line stuff. I am just interested in hearing which amps in that price range are respected.

That US amps one is really nice too. Great price on that, I just wish he had power ratings listed.

Yea, you're really not going to get much if you're not willing to save up a little money and get something decent. Or at least anything with a powerful sub channel.

The Soundstream Rubicon linked above will be ok. The Alpine should do well, and yes, you can rub the sub channel at 2 ohms. Also, the JBL should be fine as well.

None of them are really going to be impressive at that price point, but they will do decent, and give you a little power.

Elemental Designs Nine 5 5 Channel Sound Quality 5 Channel | eBayI think he is thinking about this one up for bidding?Shipping is close to $50 alone:furious:
That's exactly what I'm talking about. They usually sell for at least $350 shipped. It's big, it's heavy, it's a beast. Underrated amp, all specs are at 12.5v. I'd expect at least 125w per channel at good voltage, and closer to 900w on the sub channel. Fully active cross-overs as well. A/B on the first four channels, Class D on the sub channel. It's a phenomenal amp. Shipping changes with location, it's only $24 for me. If you keep an eye on this, and can fit it in your install, I would not hesitate to snag this even if it's a little above your budget after shipping.

Thanks for the response. I tried running a search on that Alpine model on this site but didn't come up with much.Good to hear that is well respected. I also like that it has a small footprint. I am planning on installing this under the rear seat where space is limited
My opinion is based on the articles I read in a Russian language magazine. The V60 and V70 passed their tests very well with respect to power and noise measurements, etc.

For that alpine, is it possible to run the sub channel at 2ohm, while keeping the rest of the channels at 4ohm?
I think every amplifier supports this. You can run as many channels as you wish at 2ohm. If you run subwoofer with a 5-channel amp, I wouldn't recommend the latest generation Alpine TypeR subwoofer. Supposedly, their sensitivity has gone down. They need more power. On 300-500watts, I'd suggest to try the Alpine Type-S. The latest design has decent power handling and uses underhung motor which should be good for accuracy, in theory.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.