4th order for 2 orion 12s box ratio help needed

WoopdyWoppin

Hey all, so I'm looking to build a 4th order for 2 Orion XtR 12s, i know how to desing and build it i just havent got a bloody clue what ratio i should make the sealed and ported sides, im looking at tuning in the mid 30s, also unsure as to what size port i should go with, wanting square, going in an 03 focus hatchback, any help would be appreciated

You don't tune 4th orders like standard bass reflex (ported) enclosures. Tuning in the mid 30s will allow you to only play up to about 45hz. Start with somewhere around a ported to sealed ratio of 2:1 - 3:1 tuned in the upper 40s. With port area between 16-20sq inches per cubic ft. What is the exact model of the sub you have and what amp are you planning on using?

I played around with them in BBP6 and they reach xmax on 1200rms in .8cf and up larger. They also didn't like a low ratio like 2:1, so go with 3:1 at the minimum but beware it gets a little peaky the higher the ratio is.

Do .6-.75cf for the sealed side and 2.4-3cf for the ported side with plenty of port area (minimum 16sq inches per cf). Also beware there is a sharp spike in group delay between 30-40hz regardless of what design you go with.

Ok, so i have .74 cubes for the sealed section, 2.6 for ported, with a 6 inch long 4 inch wide square aero port, does that sound about right?
Go a tad smaller sealed or a tad larger ported and about 3x bigger on the port. The cones are moving are moving past xmax which means they could could become damaged if pushed too hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.