stupid strong oak planks..

Papermaker85
5,000+ posts

Banned
New orleans LA
https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-1-2-x-48-in-Red-Oak-Solid-Edge-Glued-Tread-8430R-048-HD00L/202088436

this stuff is stupid strong. i got 4 of them and will get 4 more to strengthen my box if i knew this stiff was available i would have built it out of this. its 1" and has a rounded edge. I going to put it outside the box on every panel.

wood glue and some good lag bolts and this stuff is stupid strong. gonna build the ports out of it as well. its 4x harder than 3/4 birch..

And I dont like the rounded edge.You'll be able to see where each plank is pieced together, I prefer for my beauty panel to look like one solid piece.

And I dont like the rounded edge.You'll be able to see where each plank is pieced together, I prefer for my beauty panel to look like one solid piece.
same here but man. its so **** strong. its not a ply its solid oak. its so **** strong it would take 3 layers of ply to match this stuff.

if yo cut the edge and glued them together it would be like 3 layers of oak ply. go to HD and feel this stuff! it heavy AF

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

One by oak planks might be cheaper though not as thick- prob 3/4inch or so.
this is 1" and its SOILD oak. no cheap weak *** core

I use these all the time at work they are strong as s***, they are made for stairways, so they have to be strong. actually have a piece of it in my garage right now that has been ripped down to make matching trim pieces for a custom stairway, blah blah blah.... anyways, the point of this is they are very expensive at $22.50 each it would take eight of them to make a sheet of plywood. so you'd be paying $180 for one sheets worth and actually it wouldn't even be a full sheets worth by the time you ripped off the rounded Edge and considering they are not a full 12in wide each. but if you got cash like that more power to you, I know I couldn't afford it.

I use these all the time at work they are strong as s***, they are made for stairways, so they have to be strong. actually have a piece of it in my garage right now that has been ripped down to make matching trim pieces for a custom stairway, blah blah blah.... anyways, the point of this is they are very expensive at $22.50 each it would take eight of them to make a sheet of plywood. so you'd be paying $180 for one sheets worth and actually it wouldn't even be a full sheets worth by the time you ripped off the rounded Edge and considering they are not a full 12in wide each. but if you got cash like that more power to you, I know I couldn't afford it.
IMO. pay 1500 for subs. box is more important. send 300 dollars on box. yea probably be better to triple baffle but at 1" thick they will save space are way more dense and are stupid hard.

I feel you bro, and if your competing or space Limited it could be the answer but for regular daily guys or guys on a budget I think there's better options but I'm definitely with you if you got the cash this could be an awesome product and I love DIY projects and experimenting with new s*** that's the only way for our hobby to grow beyond what the manufacturers are doing

If you have that kind of money why not get into some bamboo ply which will be probably more rigid, lighter, and easier to work with for your application? Not that I'm opposed to hardwood in an install but for the price I think you have better options, and if you just want wood grain for cosmetics you could do as well or better using hardwood T&G flooring and have way cooler looking options than just red oak.

If you have that kind of money why not get into some bamboo ply which will be probably more rigid, lighter, and easier to work with for your application? Not that I'm opposed to hardwood in an install but for the price I think you have better options, and if you just want wood grain for cosmetics you could do as well or better using hardwood T&G flooring and have way cooler looking options than just red oak.
Can't fi d it and I doubt the ply is as hard as this hardwood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.