4ohm vs 1 ohm safety

Participant count
  • Participant list

BSchrowang

Budget Builder
Well today i finally got a new amp to replace my worn out, disgusting, broken heap of a boss 3k. Last week i clamped the boss to see what it did and...... It did around 52 watts. So i ordered the american bass vfl 4480. And it arrived today. The subs i have are Lanzar Heritage Series 12"s. The manual says they can handle 1k rms each but i dont know if i believe that. They do have a decent magnet on them.

So my question is: should i run the amp at 1ohm and let the subs each get 1000-1100 rms each or should i wire down to 4 ohms to keep it safe. (Both signals will be clean, setting gain with oscope). Starting tuesday i have to drive 40min each way for work and it would really **** if my subs overheated or blew.

Sub - Lanzar - HRWDC12 - Heritage 12'' 2000 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Die-Cast Aluminum Subwoofer

Well today i hooked up the new amp. I used my DSO NANO oscope (i highly reccomeded getting one) to make sure i could get clean signal from the hu. I got 2.75 pre amp volts, then i hooked up the amp to power and rca, used the oscope to set the output, i could get 70v peak to peak clean. Then i hooked the subs up and checked with the oscope. I got 68.6 pp volts. Then i hooked the bass knob up and meausred 63.5v clean signal. I don't regret buying this amp for one second. It made a massive difference in my system!! My old amp couldnt keep up with my music and this one sounds incredible! It shakes the mirrors and sounds clean af. It sounds good on almost anything now! The pocket oscope is the best 65 bucks i have ever spend. It made it so easy to set gains. The new amp sounds great!

sounds like you're on the right track to getting loud now
I hope so too. Ive got a temp job over the summer making hopefully around 300+ a week. When that job ends then it will be time to scale up to xfl 15's or maybe alphard hannibal 15's?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

BSchrowang

Budget Builder
BSchrowang
Peru Illinois
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from