4 channel install questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

ladysmanfelpz
10+ year member

Phoenix
K so i am a super noob but really trying to learn all i can about car audio. My friend and I did an install on my 97 legacy of a 10" sub and then later went back and installed a 4 channel amp. I've been watching youtube videos all day and looking at forums but am still really confused on how a 4 channel amp works! My friend did most of that part. So to amp the speakers, the amp is being powered by the battery from the battery and then it is grounded to the chassis for a clearer and safer electrical signal. The RCA's then run from the amp to the HU for i don't know why, to transfer data from HU to amp or something. Now I really get subs, but this is where 4 channels confuse me; speaker wire. So amps send the extra power through the speaker wire to drive the speaker better. Well with a sub it just goes straight from the amp to the speaker. Now from what i've been reading there are two ways to amp your door speakers then. One is like the sub where you run wire directly from the amp to the speakers. Two is you leave the factory (or upgraded) speaker wire in place and then splice it with speaker wire coming from the amp right before you put it into the HU. Is this correct? Seems awfully confusing to me. Like I said my friend did most of that while i tapped ground and did other stuff. So do you have to solder it together? Do they make aftermarket harnesses where they are easily spliced?

My big question is though, How do I undo it?!!

Reason I ask, and no I don't want any more advice on the situation, is that I have speaker whine and it is driving me crazy. If it is an easy fix I want to go back to normal HU power for the time being without the whine. Its a pawn shop amp (and I am 99% sure its the cause of the problem), an old beat car, and my wiring is all fudged up. My car just got egged and its falling apart and can't sell it with a nasty whine from the radio too. If I could have a quick run through on how to go through the deck that would be great.

Like I said I can do a fair amount myself, but just not that knowledgeable in all this. Please be as descriptive as you can cuz I may be a noob but love to learn //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks everyone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.