3k not sure what to get

Participant count
  • Participant list

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
So when I put my current rig together I got lucky on my amp. I got a vfl stealth 4500.1. I saw a dyno on it and it hit 1200 at 2ohms (which was about what i was looking for) and I got it new for a benny. It's a solid amp (once you get past the inflated ratings) runs cools and sounds good. But in all honesty I got lucky at that price.

I'm rebuilding to run a pair ssa icon 15". I've got an appointment to get a second battery installed. Done the big 3, 320 amp alternator, ran 1/0 ofc to the back. Now I'm looking for a 3-5k amp I really don't wanna get lucky again and just buy something decent.

Right now I'm looking at a refurbished cab-45 for $500. Is there something better to look at? My budget is about $500 and I'm not opposed to going used. I'd prefer to run at 2ohm just for the better efficiency and cooler running but that might be tough to do with my budget.

I don't know anything about running full bridge amps...they didn't exist back in the day. Any suggestions or info would be awesome.

Also in case it matters, I'm running a kicker cxa360.4 for my mids/highs

Last edited:
Taramps smart 3 or 5 gets my vote. I liked my Smart 3 so much I sold it and bought a 5.

High efficiency, small footprint, not much to dislike.

The cab 45 is solid from what I've seen. That or the JP-43 are solid low-dollar performers if you want to stick to half-bridge.

You have the electrical to support whatever you want, and it's hard to beat 5k at 2 ohm for $433 with prime shipping.

Matt

There anything different about running full bridge I'd need to look out for? I was looking at the smart 5 but I'm not cool enough to know about full bridge 🤣 they run fairly cool? I'm in the Arkansas heat 😂

There anything different about running full bridge I'd need to look out for? I was looking at the smart 5 but I'm not cool enough to know about full bridge 🤣 they run fairly cool? I'm in the Arkansas heat 😂

I'm in central Florida and had no issues.

Simple explanation of differences between full and half-bridge:

Full-bridge
smaller, more efficient, less tolerant of low/high voltage and Impedance. Run the amp as rated and keep voltage above 12.4 and you will be fine.

Half-bridge
Larger, slightly less efficient, basically a battleship. Most can run 1/2 an ohm or even 1/4 ohm with good electrical.

Alot of people don't like full-bridge amps because they are used to Korean half-bridge. With a full bridge amp you cannot run it below rated Impedance, and you need good electrical. They can't take the same kind of abuse as a half-bridge due to the way they work.

Matt

Once I get the 2nd battery wired in I'll check the voltage at the amp to see what kind of voltage I'm getting...that smart 5k dyno is crazy...if my voltage is good I think it'd be hard not to buy one 😂

Once I get the 2nd battery wired in I'll check the voltage at the amp to see what kind of voltage I'm getting...that smart 5k dyno is crazy...if my voltage is good I think it'd be hard not to buy one 😂

For the record, if you won't be running below 1 ohm the non-bass smart 5 will be louder due to a higher rail voltage. Won't make thst much of a difference, but it's a difference nonetheless. The first generation smart 3s don't like 15.5 or higher, can't speak to the smart 5, but pop hath spoken.

Matt

The highest voltage I've seen is 15.3 for s few minutes on startup...I'll definitely check that out as well before I buy...last thing I need is to burn my car down 🤣🤣🤣 and yeah I'd run on 2 ohms...at least until I decide to rip out all passenger seating 😈

Are you guys running any additional cooling?

Last edited:
The highest voltage I've seen is 15.3 for s few minutes on startup...I'll definitely check that out as well before I buy...last thing I need is to burn my car down 🤣🤣🤣 and yeah I'd run on 2 ohms...at least until I decide to rip out all passenger seating 😈

Are you guys running any additional cooling?

Nah, I had mine in the trunk for awhile. The smart 5 will be in the passenger compartment so it will be treated a little nicer I guess. 🤷🏽

Matt

Thanks guys...I appreciate the help with some stupid questions 😂

Didn't wanna end up an 8k boss wondering why my subs sukk 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks guys...I appreciate the help with some stupid questions 😂

Didn't wanna end up an 8k boss wondering why my subs sukk 🤣🤣🤣

Simple questions aren't stupid man, the stupid comes when you don't learn. Key point: half bridge is like a tank. Full bridge is like a boat.
Tanks go over, around and through anything and can take some serious punishment.
Boats have to be cared for, and you have to plan a route to avoid danger and potential sinking.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...