Amplifier for JL 12W7AE-3

Participant count
  • Participant list

JohnWayne

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey all, this is my first post to this forum, I’ve seen many threads about this but most seemed dated and many people were confused on the sub in question, so I’m posting this hoping for some less dated help.

So I have a JL 12W7AE-3 (3 ohm load) and I’m currently in the market for a new amplifier for it but am 1000% unwilling to break the bank on a JL amplifier. I was running it on an Alpine PDX-M12 before, and it sounded great. Eventually found out that the shop who installed everything installed it with a bad ground, which unfortunately resulted in a blown amp and sub. I was able to get the sub fixed but the amp just wasn’t worth getting repaired when I see so many amps on the market that are much more affordable than what I initially paid for the alpine amp.

I’m not an expert by any means, which is why I’m asking about this, so apologies in advance if there’s an extremely basic answer, but what would be some good options for an affordable amp? One that I was eyeing was the Sundown Audio SAEv3-2000D. Looking to get around 1200W rms like my previous setup (Would definitely be open to going lower, just not much higher than this) but the whole 3 ohm load is really running me for a loop trying to make sure I don’t put too much power to the sub and potentially damage it.

And not sure if it makes a difference but I’ll just put some info on my setup if it helps: 4awg power/ground wiring, 125amp inline fuse to the battery, and on a stock head unit on a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (the factory upgraded touch screen unit). If possible I’d like to keep the wiring and just replace the amplifier. Thanks for any help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...