350z first full setup, $2,000 budget

subzero88
10+ year member

Hello, I have decided to upgrade my car's sound system and was looking for other opinions.

The only thing I have done audio related in a car was installing an alpine deck. Other than that I have no knowledge or experience so any advice would be appreciated. I have a base 2004 350z with stock head unit and speakers (I am really disappointed with the quality of the speakers). After reading a little and looking around, here is what I came up with following a $2,000 budget.

Head Unit - Kenwood DDX514

Subwoofer - JL 12W6V2

Subwoofer Enclosure - Custom box from concept enclosures

Subwoofer AMP - JL 500/1V2

Front Speakers - JL VR650-CSi Evo VR Component

Rear Speakers - MB Quart DKH116 2-Way Coaxial

Speakers AMP - JL 300/4V2

Capacitor - Soundstorm 2-Farad

Wiring - Kicker 4 Gauge Dual AMP Kit

Total = $2,003

I'm not sure about the wiring or capacitor (by this I mean, I read around so I don't know much). I just know 4 gauge would be good for like 1000watts and I need a capacitor so I have enough power for the speakers and sub.

I am assuming this is all I need to fully upgrade my sound system in my car. I am going to have someone help me install everything or just take it to a shop. Again, I am new to this so any advice is welcome!

Ditch the cap, the 4 gauge will be fine. You probably wont need the cap anyways, do the Big 3 and you shouldnt really have any problems. But it wouldnt hurt i guess. Just not needed.

And overall that looks like fine equiptment, if your not going for massive bass. That'll be some nice bump in that car.

Also, i wouldnt pay what is that, 400$ for a 500 watt jl? You can get amps just as good in power/reliability for way less if all you want is 500 watts. Even if the sub is a 3 ohm? You can get 1k-2k watt amps for the same price, room for upgrade too.

were you getting it installed at a shop or doing it yourself?

Are you set on jl equipment?

Are you open to buy used or online?

Cause for 2 grand your system leave alot to be desired IMO

My plan is to do it myself, with help from someone else. Last resort would be having a shop do it. I've heard good things about JL but I am open to anything. I plan on buying online through amazon, if I can save money by getting used then that would be fine, buying used online though.

I figured the cap is only $40 and wouldn't hurt, so why not? I don't need massive bass, I just want a nice system all around.

Any recommendations on different equipment is welcome.

Id get this http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429130 , put a sundown 1k or 1500 on it, (u can find these for cheaper than that 500/1 used), would be way better and cheaper, not sure if you wanna go with that much wattage tho as you will need to upgrade to 0 gauge and maybe a small batt out back. If your down for used you can find better, cheaper equiptment all over the forums that will outperform what youve chosen for less.

Here is a better way to put it. I want to buy it online because I was planning on using credit to purchase it. I was thinking a 1000watt system would be satisfactory for me. As for $2,000 for the system I have put together, I have no idea if that is overpriced or not. I want nice quality all around ( lows, mids, highs ). The reason behind 1000watt is because I don't want too much attention from thieves.

jl is great equip for sure but for 2 grand essh

Head- I would look into somthing along the lines of a pioneer 880prs

Comps- rainbow germanium cs 265.25

i own these and they sound **** good

Rear fill- what you have selected is fine but not really needed.

Comp amp-http://www.woofersetc.com/p4282/SRX-4--Audison-4-Ch-340-Watt-Amplifier.htm

bridge to the comps and leave the rears on deck power

sub- w6v2 is a fantastic sub just try to find it used and save some coin.

If wanna try somthing else you could look into an idq or an idmax. Idmax would be a bit more expensive but its one of the best subs ive ever heard.

sub amp- dependent on which sub you decide to go with but i would go with an audison srx1D. just for matching and to have extra power to play with.

wire- http://www.knukonceptz.com/

grab a 0 gauge kit and a couple distro blocks

If you serach around you could probably grab all this for 1700 or so

Edit: i would have added more links but im at work and my web access is limited.

and YGPM

For 2 grand, that's not a lot of system. You could probably achieve a system thats just as good for $500.

With that kind of budget, I'd look into some different equipment. You can get much, much more for the money.

Ok, I lied. $650 for an Image Dynamics IDQ12 v3, CTX65cs components and an MB Quart DSC4125. I'd probably take that over the JL System because it would sound just as good, and cost 1/3 as much...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.