300watt rms to cdt-60 /tw25

now that you talk about it, there was a little smell that last for like 1 sec and i hadn't the chance to check where it was coming from. I guess i should get back on the gain a little.

What would i need to run active with my 4 channel amp? like i said before, the hpf on it only goes up to 500hz so i couldn't run 2 channel on mid and 2 channel on tweeters by themself if i don't cross somewhere around 3k

by the way how do you like those components?

iirc the CDT's crossover points are at 2.5khz. As for woofersetc.com sets, the Cl60 uses the Cl-6 convertible midrange which you can make into a coax configuration, it also uses the entry level satnet-400 crossover, which if that is what you go than there might be the issue. Those satnet 400 don't like 150rms or more, and will be pushed at 125rms. the Cl-61 uses the

CL-6e driver and also has the satnet ex-450 crossover which handles more power than the 400. try upgrading the crossover and you might be better off with the amount of power you're throwing at them.

No, I turned the gain down after I started smelling coil on the left mid.
500hz is right in the middle of the idle range for a mid to play.

Depending on the tweeter/midrange pair, generally the crossover point for the two is somewhere between 3khz and 6khz. The mid should be able to play down below 200hz, where a midbass picks up down to ~80hz. (If only a 2-way system, then the midrange will play down to 80hz)
You totally missed his point about the amp crossover. The crossover on his amp doesn't go above 500hz so he can't use it to run an active setup.

Passive crossovers work well at low power, but high power uses are hard on crossovers and they must be specially designed to do it, and most dont' do high power very well. Running active will allow you to run your drivers to their full power ratings with nothing in the way. But, yes, you would need a separate active crossover to cross them off somewhere between 1kHz - 3 kHz.

You can run them passive with 300 watts fine, just don't crank them for extended periods of time. If you listen carefully you should be able to hear the crossovers distort the music and add phasing that makes things sound garbled and muddy. That will tell you to back off the volume a bit. It's easy to hear the crossover distort when your playing a really clean vocal sound like an Etta James tune, and almost impossible to hear when listening to death metal.

now that you talk about it, there was a little smell that last for like 1 sec and i hadn't the chance to check where it was coming from. I guess i should get back on the gain a little.
What would i need to run active with my 4 channel amp? like i said before, the hpf on it only goes up to 500hz so i couldn't run 2 channel on mid and 2 channel on tweeters by themself if i don't cross somewhere around 3k

by the way how do you like those components?
if it smells then u have to lower the Power out put for it with aother amp or just b happy with 100W RMS.

I put 400Watt per channel on my hertz and it works perfectly.. what a well built speaker.

So far it's still working great. If the crossover blow then i'll be looking for new ones. Satnet 480 would be my best bet?

Thank's for all your answers:veryhapp:

No. Passive crossovers must be specially designed to work with specific drivers. They should not be swapped around like baseball cards. If the passive is working for you and you don't hear distortion, then your fine. If it becomes a problem then switch to an active crossover system.

I checked with the speakers wire calculator and they said that at 4ohm, 12feet with 18ga i'm gonna loose around 20 watt at the speaker (280watt /300) . with bigger wire i would loose around 10watts. I don't think i'll loose one afternoon for 10watt. But how will the wire react? Will it burn? Dangerous for the amp?

So i did the rewiring yesturday. Now it's 14ga and there's no audible difference. That'll put my mind to ease tough :p

So far the cdt are still alive. The high become harsh with a lot of power, i might switch the tweeters crossover to attenuator to -3 and eq with my deck/ cowon d2

Okay now i've tested for few weeks and i realize that sometime, the vocal become a little distortionned. The tweeters never shut down, the crossover isn't melted, the coil have had a few smells but nothing realy alarming.

Does the coil burn over time ? I mean, if they get the limit point few minute per day, will they live like they should?

And the phasing problem seems to be here on some track (more apparent maybe) so i'm looking for a crossover.

I've seen that the satnet-400 cross at 4.3k. Is it accurate? My tweeters are the tw-25 and the woofer the cl-6e.

Could i try the bluepunkt vc-100 crossover to see if i could get a better result. Like i said before it got a switch to cross at 3k or 6k. I would cross it at 3k (knowing that some cdt crossover are around 2.5k)

Okay now i've tested for few weeks and i realize that sometime, the vocal become a little distortionned. The tweeters never shut down, the crossover isn't melted, the coil have had a few smells but nothing realy alarming.

Does the coil burn over time ? I mean, if they get the limit point few minute per day, will they live like they should?

And the phasing problem seems to be here on some track (more apparent maybe) so i'm looking for a crossover.

I've seen that the satnet-400 cross at 4.3k. Is it accurate? My tweeters are the tw-25 and the woofer the cl-6e.

Could i try the bluepunkt vc-100 crossover to see if i could get a better result. Like i said before it got a switch to cross at 3k or 6k. I would cross it at 3k (knowing that some cdt crossover are around 2.5k)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.