300 watt 10" sub....

Rich00
10+ year member

Old timer
I went ahead and bought http://www.amazon.com/BboxVehicle-2002-2012-Up-Firing-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0013N0U8U/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

So now im gonna need two tens that will work in .06ft^3 sealed each and not more than 200 watts a piece. My first thought was JL10w1v3. I really am not excited about changing amps so im gonna try not to have too. Oh yeah I got my budget figured out no more than like $130 a woofer. I can buy those JL for $100 through a local store hook up

I need 2ohm's because my amp does 300 at 2ohm. Jl xd500/3 amp, kenwood excelon 9 series head unit. I have figured out my front's or rear fill yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok im looking at this dcon sub. I see that it is $159. Ok no problem but is it a huge big time upgrade in that box from my type S. Now keep in mind i've not been a huge fan of the type S the entire time i've had it. It is currently in a junk prefab ported box tuned to the lower 40's. So lets think about that. I have never heard a dcon. I used to have a FI x 10" would I be better off getting it reconed?

I was not happy with the box. Look I was keeping it really cheap on the box in my last car. Im not looking to rattle windows and crap. I like to turn it up sometime and rock. Its not gonna be everyday though. I know the type S can do well in this box but will it be that much worse than the dcon or fi x?

Got it. As many people will tell you and as I know from personal experience, the box is very important. In a ported box, it is no longer the sub itself playing the notes, it's the port. Other things may come into play, depending on the box quality. I know others may very in opinion, but I would never tune a box in the 40s for music because it just isn't musical to my ear. You should get a box around 1.5 to 2 cu ft tuned to about 32-34Hz. That should make you happy. Before you buy another sub, if you still have the type-s, try it out in that box first and see what you think. If you're still unhappy, change the sub as well. I'm pretty sure you'll see the difference and exactly how drastic the change is tuning the box much lower. Hope this helps.

I was just wondering about other options. I have had a JL sub once and it wasn't nearly loud enough for me. Now my tastes have changed from now to then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.