3 way or 2 way active?

Participant count
  • Participant list

heyhi1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
nyc
Unsure what to do to my coupe

My radio is gonna be 5800 pioneer wich is touch screen 3 way active.

I want to go active but the thing is the rca inputs in active mode go like this

1 instead of front r/l in standard mode this rca inputs become tweets

2 instead of normal mode rear r/l they become mids in active mode

3 both modes stay for sub

Im confused on how this would change things since i dont want a processor,just want the active hu.

Basicaly im gonna control the tweets

All 4 woofers together

And sub

I wont be able to sepratly control a mid range 6.5 and a mid bass 6.5

Is my only option 2 way ?

So in that case can i use a 5 channel amp and just get good woofers with mid bass and also mid? Just use 2 channels for tweets 2 channels for woofers and 1 for sub

Or 5 channel amp 2 for tweets 2 for mids 1 for mid bass and another amp for sub

So your wanting to do a tweeter, 6.5 midrange, 6.5 midbass, and a sub?

Sounds like a 4 way.. .

Do you have the room/equipment to do all that?

Im not sure what i want to do. I have room in stock locations for 2 door 6.5s

And 2 rear 6.5s right behind the seats.... its a coupe

What do you guys suggest i can do with a 5 channel amp and a 3way active head unit .

I basicaly want good midbass and very crisp clear mids and highs

Im not sure what i want to do. I have room in stock locations for 2 door 6.5sAnd 2 rear 6.5s right behind the seats.... its a coupe

What do you guys suggest i can do with a 5 channel amp and a 3way active head unit .

I basicaly want good midbass and very crisp clear mids and highs
I think you are getting confused buddy. 3 way front stage means midbass, midrange and tweeter. 4 way active is midbass midrange tweeter and subwoofer. What you are talking about sounds like a 2 way front, rear fill and subwoofer where a 5 channel amp would easily work. Actual 3 way front stage is completely different from what you are talking about.

Oh ok, yea ive done basic component set ups so i guess i am confused.

Im just trying to get an idea of speaker set up so i can look into the correct tweeters woofers and amp

Basicaly im gonna have all 4 woofers crossed over at the same frequancy? Like i said the hu is active ready so i wanna go active

The 5 channel amp..... tweeters on front 2 channels all mids on rear 2 channels sub on 5th channel

So that means say for example my amp is 5 channel 70W RMS x 4 Channels + 270W RMS x 1 channel @ 4 ohms

115x4 @ 2 ohms *

• Tri-Mode Capable*

Thats just an example i havnt got an amp yet..... how would i wire the 2 tweets on 1st 2 channels and 4 mids on tchanrd 4th channel with correct ohms and correct watts. Would 4 woofers and 2 tweets have to be 4 ohm set up or 2 ohm...... confused becuase 4 woofers are gonna be sharing 2 channels and i dont know if itl compramise the wattage or ohms

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the tweets on head unit power and have an inline capacitor crossover or power them seperately on an active capable amp. The rest of the speakers are amped normally.
Can i split 2 of the rca to control 4 channels?

Can i split 2 of the rca to control 4 channels?
For what you are going for, its best not to amp the rear, just have them on head unit power. It actually detracts away from the soundstage since you want a concert in front of you not behind you. Put every effort into making the front stage sound good and it should easily fill the whole car where passengers can easily hear as well.

Ok now that helps. I been trying to figure out the best way to do this. Im probably confusing my self and you in the process.

So is a 2 way front stage rear fill my best option?

Would not amping the rears just be a waste? Will it sound wierd?

Not amping the rears would work, i can use 4 channels for fronts and 5th for sub

What about your first option.... tweeters with passive xover to head unit ..... which one is better?

Ok now that helps. I been trying to figure out the best way to do this. Im probably confusing my self and you in the process.
So is a 2 way front stage rear fill my best option?

Would not amping the rears just be a waste? Will it sound wierd?

Not amping the rears would work, i can use 4 channels for fronts and 5th for sub

What about your first option.... tweeters with passive xover to head unit ..... which one is better?
When you are at a concert do you want the concert to be behind you? No. Having a weak front concert while the party is in the back is horrible for sound quality.

Just amp the tweets and mids using the 5 channel and run the sub. Rear fill on head unit power thats your best config.

When you are at a concert do you want the concert to be behind you? No. Having a weak front concert while the party is in the back is horrible for sound quality.
Just amp the tweets and mids using the 5 channel and run the sub. Rear fill on head unit power thats your best config.
Ok perfect, thanks for your time

Three wat network mode. I'm sorry but I just don't think those units are very good sounding.
Last question on this, since the head unit controls the mids via rear rca jack, when i go tune those front mids thru the radio

Will the rears , wich will be hooked up to the radio also have the same tune? If i use higher end fronts since they will be amped and lower end rears wont the sound be bad at the rears, especially if im tuning the bass

if i understand correctly the CD player has a tweeter midrange and subwoofer output. so you if want to do a 3 way active system this would consist of.

a tweeter, a mid range and a SUBwoofer.. so your crossover point would look like this

tweeter HPF 2500hz

midrange HPF 70hz-LPF 2500hz(this is called a bandpass filter and only the frequencies between 70hz and 2500 hz will play through the mid)

low LPF 70hz

if you wanted to say for instance run a 4 way active system you COULD use the mid and get a amp with built in crossovers to use a deadiciated mid bass and midrange.

sor example look at this amp.

DC-1004 - Zapco 4-Channel Class A/B Full Range Amplifier

if you used this ammp for your midrange and midbass drivers and used another amp for you tweeters you could simply use the CD players MID pre amp output and just use a splitter to the 4 channel. using channels 1 and 2 for the midrange and channels 3 and 4 for the midbass

the amp allows you to bandpass on all channels.

OMG this think is 599 fucky ****! i need to grab one!!

SAX-100.4 v.2

the sundown is alot cheaper and you can use it to do the same thing

the midrange on the front channel set at 500 and swiched to LPF and set it to around 2000hz

and the midbass @ about 70 to 400hz or so..

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

Last question on this, since the head unit controls the mids via rear rca jack, when i go tune those front mids thru the radio Will the rears , wich will be hooked up to the radio also have the same tune? If i use higher end fronts since they will be amped and lower end rears wont the sound be bad at the rears, especially if im tuning the bass
yes. but i highly suggest you avoid rears..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.