Need help building woofer motors

Participant count
  • Participant list
I want to try building my own woofers; just for shits and giggles. I don't care about cost but I want to build it beginning to end. I've done a lot of research and I think I have most of my bases covered as far as the top half of the subwoofer goes. Its the bottom half that is the problem... I want to make my own motor from scratch. Problem is, where do I get ferrite ceramic rings? I saw plenty of places on ebay sell the rings but they are small household magnets. I need like 11" diameter rings that are 1" thick. I don't care if I have to buy in bulk either.

Another thing is I don't know what tools I need to cut my top and bottom plates along with the center pole.

A lathe or CNC machine to take care of the steel work. The ferrite slugs maybe alibaba.com. you would also need a way to magnetize the motor assemblies. Plus modeling software to show you how the flux is distributed thru the gap and how much stray flux your getting. Motor building would be quit difficult.

to get the proper grade steel, its going to cost you a ton. same with machine time and 11" ferrite will be $$ from china.

best bet for a first time is to find a broken motor and build neo. that way the steels are ready and you can grab neo

Problem is neo isn't designed to operate at high heat unless you a design a motor where you can keep the temp under of the magnets under 150 degrees or get the higher tempature neo slugs which are expensive.

I doubt you need a 11" magnet and you going to have to buy a minimum and the shipping will kill you.

Contact psi. Maybe he can help you out. Also if car audio might for the right price build you a pair of custom woofers.. If don't hurt to ask

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.