3 way active double-din dvd-nav unit?

Lil Poot
5,000+ posts

you sturrin at me brah?
Wichita KS
i want an in dash double din but need active crossover capabilities. i'd like it to all be integrated with the head unit, and know i can do this with the w205/505/h701 combo.

is there another deck out there currently that can do this? it looks like they would be, but i hear people say you cannot go active with kenwood dnx8120/9140.

Take this with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own opinions. I've always disliked Kenwood head units because I didn't like their designs, most felt cheap and they didn't have the features I needed (like going active).

That being said...my next set up is going to be the Kenwood DNX6140 paired with an Audison BitOne. You can't go active with any of the current DD head units without a processor. But for me, the Kenwood is perfect. It has built in Garmin Navi, BlueTooth and it has a Digital output to connect to the Audison. The Audison is an amazing unit, and now that they have got all the bugs worked out, it will displace the 701 as the unit of choice for processing. That and retail MSRP on the Audison is only $800. I'm sure it could be purchased from a dealer for less. It has so many features, it is mind boggling...Check them out with a dealer near you. The Kenwood has adjustable lighting too to match your dash. Its menus are way easier to navigate than the Alpines and the build quality is awesome. I'm very impressed!

well i really don't want to use an external processor (that wont integrate with the HU, such as the bitone or pcx-430) because i want to be able to make adjustments to the sound using that main interface... i dont want to fumble with a lot of controls or have extra **** mounted on/in my dash. so it seems the w205/505 is my only current option...

are there any options for an active capable double din anytime soon?

I feel the same way. I don't know of any active DD units coming out anytime soon, and I highly doubt it as the trend is moving towards "auto" everything. I don't like the looks of the 505 so I really don't see myself going that route. Hopefully with the BitOne i will have enough ability to get it pretty close the first few times and not have to go back and forth. We'll see though. Good luck and if anyone knows of a DD active head unit please PM me!!

i actually really like the looks of the w505. not so much the 205.

it's the cost of it all once you get the nav, h701, bluetooth, satellite radio... i want to spend like 1-1.2k and be set on everything other than satellite, maybe BT

Take this with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own opinions. I've always disliked Kenwood head units because I didn't like their designs, most felt cheap and they didn't have the features I needed (like going active).
That being said...my next set up is going to be the Kenwood DNX6140 paired with an Audison BitOne. You can't go active with any of the current DD head units without a processor. But for me, the Kenwood is perfect. It has built in Garmin Navi, BlueTooth and it has a Digital output to connect to the Audison. The Audison is an amazing unit, and now that they have got all the bugs worked out, it will displace the 701 as the unit of choice for processing. That and retail MSRP on the Audison is only $800. I'm sure it could be purchased from a dealer for less. It has so many features, it is mind boggling...Check them out with a dealer near you. The Kenwood has adjustable lighting too to match your dash. Its menus are way easier to navigate than the Alpines and the build quality is awesome. I'm very impressed!
Does Kenwood DNX6140 have a Digital output ? I didn't read anything like that in the spec ? can you confirm this ?

Does Kenwood DNX6140 have a Digital output ? I didn't read anything like that in the spec ? can you confirm this ?
heck no

OP, all you need is front and rear time alignment, run your crossover off the amps. If your front speakers are very close together and

on the same plane, you may not even need separate time alignment for them, just time alignment for the whole channel (front or rear in this case).

I feel the same way. I don't know of any active DD units coming out anytime soon, and I highly doubt it as the trend is moving towards "auto" everything. I don't like the looks of the 505 so I really don't see myself going that route. Hopefully with the BitOne i will have enough ability to get it pretty close the first few times and not have to go back and forth. We'll see though. Good luck and if anyone knows of a DD active head unit please PM me!!
How do you not like the looks of the 505? There is nothing to it.

Okay I do like the 505, but I hate the blue lighting. I'm picky like that. And yes the 6140 has a digital out. The 5140 and 7140 don't. I talked to a dealer that is running it and the BitOne. He convinced me...

heck no
OP, all you need is front and rear time alignment, run your crossover off the amps. If your front speakers are very close together and

on the same plane, you may not even need separate time alignment for them, just time alignment for the whole channel (front or rear in this case).
i run old school amps so i dont have so much adjustability as i'd like... want a very fine eq and the ability to set crossover slopes.

i picked up an alpine w505 on ebay for 660 shipped. i guess now i'm in the market for an h701 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Okay I do like the 505, but I hate the blue lighting. I'm picky like that. And yes the 6140 has a digital out. The 5140 and 7140 don't. I talked to a dealer that is running it and the BitOne. He convinced me...
Do you mind telling me which dealer this is ? I checked the installation manual on 6140 and also called Kenwood Techinical Support ,they told me the digital out port on the unit is a "non-operational" port ,that's why they didn't list it on the spec sheet ,it will be nice if someone actually made it work with the bit one though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.