3 sub wiring configuration

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jreine

CarAudio.com Newbie
Okay so I’ve got 2 4ohm svc subs 300w rms a piece wired in parallel which should make them 2 ohm right? And I’ve got a 500w dvc sub 2ohm so if I get a 1200w @ 2 ohm amplifier I should be able to power them both sufficiently? Just looking for some confirmation, I hate this speaker stuff it’s incredibly confusing.

is it possible to use a mono block amp?And when I wire it from 1 ohm to 2 ohms that changes the power it’s pushing right?

I'm almost certain someone will chime in with "you shouldn't mix different subs" to sound smart, but I'm going to actually going to address your question.

Take my advice at your own risk:
Depending on the quality of your amp, you shouldn't run a lower impedance than it is rated for. Your three subs cannot be wired to an ideal load to the amp. If I were you, I'd wire your dvc sub's coils in series, then wire it in parallel with the two svc 4 ohm subs. Your amp will see a 1.33 ohm load, which may cause it to go into protection mode. There really isn't any other way to wire your three subs without really diminishing your amp's output.

You are correct; changing the driver impedance strongly impacts the amp's output.

I'd wire the SVC subs in series for an 8 ohm load. Wire the DVC subs coils in series for a 4 ohm load. Wire the 4 ohm and 8 ohm load in parallel to the amp. That will give you a 2.67ohm load, which will be safe for a 2 ohm stable amp. If you don't have the amp, get a 1 ohm stable amp and wire as metalheadjoe states.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...