3 speaker choices, please help

benzinabrera

Hi Guys, i just want to start off saying i dont have ultimate knowledge on car audio so if i say something stupid, please forgive and correct me.

Now on to my dillema, The standard sound system in my car sounds PANTS, it consists of a set of 6.5 inch comps and a set of 3 inch speakers in the back. obviously i might just disconnect the 3 inchers if the front comps are good enough but currently they actually help, thats how crappy the standard system is. They sound dull, flat and very little midbass.

Now what im looking for is not pavement pounding low bass competition sound, im just looking for smooth, clear, deep proper sounding speakers like you would find in a car with very good OEM sound.

What i currently have is a Boston Acoustics GTA-602 amp that i got as a gift some time back. and i also got a lightning audio 4 guage wiring kit.

What i am doing in preparation for the speakers, dynamat inner and outer door skins, seal big holes with aluminum also covered in dynamat, MDF speaker spacers, stick acoustic foam on the outer door skin and the door trim panel

OK, speaker choices. MY MAIN PROBLEM.

Im a bit limited on budget and basically from what is available to me i have 3 options and i would like your opinions on these 3 to help me decide.

Option 1:

JBL GTO6508c ( GTO6508C - JBL )

These operate at 2Ohm rated at 70W RMS, now you guys will notice i have serious over and under power paranoia with my amp. im afraid of this because at 2Ohm my amp will overpower these by 30W RMS

Option 2:

Alpine Type G SPG-17CS ( http://www.alpine-electronics.co.za/...rs375/spg-17cs )

These operate at 4Ohm rated at 70W RMS so now at 4Ohm my amp will only push 60W RMS, underpowering by 10 again

Option 3:

Ground Zero GZTC 165TX ( Home )

These operate at 4Ohm rated at 110W RMS! so sadly i will be short 50W RMS with my tiny amp, will this just do the Ground Zeros no justice or does the sound gurus here know things i dont?

So do you guys know these speakers well? do you know what would be best for my listening preferences? any advice and input would be appreciated, thanks!

The power ratings are of the least concern. Your amp should do fine with any of those sets.

We don't have much of a Ground Zero presence here in the US(yet) so you probably won't get any responses from people who've heard those speakers. The Alpine and JBL speakers are probably the same as some equivalent US models.

Your door treatments should improve the bass performance. I don't know enough about these speakers to tell you which one you'll like the best. I believe the JBL set should sound nice, but they make better sets if you're willing to increase your budget.

Like someone else mentioned, 10-30 watts over or under rated is nothing. Most componenets will run fine with just 50 watts. But also most can take 150watts or more with a high pass filter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.