2nd battery? Do i need one?

snakeye
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just bought a new amp to run my TC's, Hifonics Colossus XX. my stock alternator puts out about 110amps so I will be replacing it with a new HO one. Will I also be needing a second battery though? My friend tell me I will, but he has not really had any experience with this size amp before, about 3200 @ 2ohms. Also how many amps should my new Alt. be?

I just bought a new amp to run my TC's, Hifonics Colossus XX. my stock alternator puts out about 110amps so I will be replacing it with a new HO one. Will I also be needing a second battery though? My friend tell me I will, but he has not really had any experience with this size amp before, about 3200 @ 2ohms. Also how many amps should my new Alt. be?
It will help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I was told that i wouldn't even be able to install the amp/ power it up until i got the HO alt and at least one more battery put in......is this true? I thought i could install it and just have the gains down really low so that it wouldn't try and draw out too much power. the calculator didn't really tell me exactly what the 2nd battery would be doing for me. I thought all the battery was used for was to start the car and after that the alternator provided the power.

I was told that i wouldn't even be able to install the amp/ power it up until i got the HO alt and at least one more battery put in......is this true? I thought i could install it and just have the gains down really low so that it wouldn't try and draw out too much power. the calculator didn't really tell me exactly what the 2nd battery would be doing for me. I thought all the battery was used for was to start the car and after that the alternator provided the power.

Once you get over the 1000 watt TRUE RMS mark, your gonna wanna definetly be doin something to help your power in your car. After 2000 watts (true rms), an extra battery is a MUST and a HO-Alt is very highly reccomended. At 3000 watts +, yah I think its fair to say getting the HO alt is absolutly neccesary, as well as at LEAST a 2nd battery. And at the very least 1/0 ga wire through and through.

Make sure you upgrade your under hood battery to a good deepcycle and do the big 3 in 1/0g. also make sure you use 1/0 for power and ground on the amp. A second battery is never a bad idea with 3000w+. I wouldnt run the amp until at the very least you did the big 3 and changed your under hood battery. After that hook it up and see how bad your voltage drops. then go from there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.