280amp alternator with dimming head lights

dgaf
10+ year member

Swollen Member
727, FL
I have two SA15s running off a 2500 mojo.

A new optima yellow 34/78 battery and a dc power 280amp alt under the hood.

Big 3 done with 1/0 wire, solid ground.

Headlights dim. Not sure what the voltage drop is, I should probably check that out, would do it now, but it's raining.

Do I need a second battery in the back? XS\Kinetik?

you shouldn't....all i can think of is the grounds
Something along these lines. You've got plenty of current, apparently have a bad connection. The only other option is your alt is bad, or isn't putting out what it says it is.

you shouldn't....all i can think of is the grounds
Something along these lines. You've got plenty of current, apparently have a bad connection. The only other option is your alt is bad, or isn't putting out what it says it is.

I got big 3 done.

I even ran a 4 gauge wire from my battery negative to a ground block.

The ground block is then attached to a bolt that used to hold down the back seats seat-belt.

I had the ground attached to the area you can see that was sanded off, it was attached with self tappers, that was before I got the idea to use the bolt there.

groundz.jpg

I had an issue with my last install having a bad ground, so I went through all the precautions to make sure it wasn't an issue this time.

if its a 280 amp alt wouldnt you need 2 runs of 0awg to your bat? and i think a second bat would help
didn't think a second run from alt to battery was needed since it's only powering a 2500w amp.

anyone else recommend adding another 1/0 run from battery to alt?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.