2014 Hyundai Sonata keeping Infinity head unit; requesting help and opinions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wadester999

Hello all,

I've been searching the threads for several days now and haven't been able to find the specific guidance I need. I am upgrading the factory Infinity HU with an aftermarket amp (Alpine PDX-V9) and replacing the 8" factory sub with a 10" sub. My questions are as follows:

1. To use the factory HU I have read there are 2 options. I've read that the HU uses a digital signal S/PDIF to the amplifier and can be picked up prior to the amplifier by using an AXXESS HYKIA-01 adapter ($129). The second option would be to pick up the speaker outputs and route them to a signal processor. Metra makes a bypass module, part number 70-735, but I am not sure this will work for my purpose since they call it a bypass module. Has anyone used the AXXESS adapter? Does the Metra part give me the speaker wires?

2. I am considering the Audiocontrol DQ-61 for a signal processor. If i go the speaker output route, post amplifier, will I need to use the tweeter outputs, door outputs and sub outputs in order to get full frequency range into the processor? (it has 3 pairs of inputs)

3. I have read several discussions about subwoofer directional placement. I was thinking about removing the factory 8" sub from the rear deck leaving the grill in place and placing the 10" directly under the opening and firing up through the opening. That would direct the sound pressure into the cabin and also keep the driver out of the way of other things in the trunk. Looking for opinions on that idea.

3. I have no idea about door speakers and dash tweeters. I have a lot of vibration from the plastic door panels now. I think it's because there's too much bass being directed to the door speakers. I am planning on using some sort of dampening material on the plastic panels as well and the metal doors. Has anyone done this and gotten the door panels back on the doors? Would it be better to construct some sort of enclosure to isolate the 6.5" driver from the door?

4. I've heard bad opinions about dash mounted tweeters and reflected sound from the windshield. Would I get better imaging by abandoning the dash tweeters and surface mounting them on the doors? Suggestions including specific speakers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

wadester999

Update:

So I've learned that using the S/PDIF output directly from the HU is not a possibility at this time. i called the tech support number for AXXESS and also read on a Veloster forum about it and have given up on trying.

I've exposed the wiring from the amp in the back of my Sonata and for now I am planning on just cutting the wire I need to get the sub, front doors and dash speakers into the inputs of the DQ-61. I read on one of the forums that the dash speakers are full range, not actually tweeters, but I haven't been able to verify this. Does anyone know which they are?

Since I haven't purchased new door/dash speakers yet, I am planning on picking up the factory wires where I made the cuts and connect the amp there. I like the idea of using a Molex connector set for connections so that if I wanted to put it back to stock I can just plug the connectors together. does anyone know where to get these type connectors?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.