2014 Ford Escape; advantage of external amp?

Austex

Background

2014 Ford Escape SE with non-Sony sound system, 8" touch screen controls; this is a 9-speaker system as follows:

(1) 3.5" front center speaker in top of the dashboard

(4) 6 1/2" speakers, one in each door (labeled "25W" on the magnets)

(2) tweeters, one in each front "A" pillar

(2) tweeters, one in each rear door

FWIW I believe an identical non-Sony system is found in many '13-'14 Ford Focus models.

I have the full Ford wiring/workshop manual and am competent reading those and making automotive wiring mods; I am not an audio expert by any means.

The heavily CANBUS integrated OEM system does not have a pre-amp output that I can find in the wiring diagrams. The sound / speaker system is active for SYNC and phone communications even when not used for 'entertainment' functions. I have no idea what the OEM system rated output is in watts (see clue of "25W" label on the OEM speakers); again, this is the non-Sony system so has no DSP/dedicated amp/subwoofer.

Goal

I'm age 60-ish, listen mainly to 60's-70's rock, classical and jazz from the CD. Most of my in-home music is on vinyl through Nakamichi pre and power amps I've had forever since new. The OEM system is 'muddy' to my ear, lacks clarity in the midrange and lacks crisp punch in bass. I do not like boomy bass and do not play my music to entertain drivers in adjacent cars. I am not trying to get 'super-premium' sound out of this system - just a bit better clarity and smoothness across the spectrum, with component features and cost 'balanced' toward that goal.

Modifications to Date

I have recently installed Alpine SPS-610C component speakers to replace all of the woof/mid OEM speakers and tweeters in the OEM locations. The sound quality is much improved in mid/high ranges to my ear. I have disconnected the small 'front-center' speaker completely - that eliminated a 'muddy' component of the sound.

Subwoofer on Order

I will receive the new-release Alpine PWE-S8 small powered subwoofer in the next few days. That will be installed using the speaker-level input option due to lack of pre-amp out from the OEM system. I hope that will fit under a front seat and will suffice to provide a bit of fill in the bass range (again, not seeking boomy bass).

Finally, the Questions:

While the Alpine SPS-610C speakers (rated 80W RMS @4ohms) can be driven to a loud level with the OEM head unit, distortion seems to creep-in at higher levels. Can addition of an external amp using speaker-level inputs possibly help with that?

For example, if I install a 4-channel Alpine MRV-F300 (rated 50W RMS x 4 @4ohms) using the speaker-level input option, will that allow me to use a lower volume setting on the head unit to get cleaner sound at moderately high listening levels? (Or is it likely that I'm just limited by the sound quality out of the head unit at any level?)

Finally, if an added amp will help .... the Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack is attractive in terms of physical size/ease of 'hiding' in the Escape but it seems to have a bit worse THD specs than the MRV-F300. I don't know if the THD difference and slightly lower power output is meaningful for my application. The cost difference is a non-issue for me. Considering all I've described, should I avoid the 'Power Pack' in favor of the MRV-F300 for my project?

Thanks In Advance for constructive suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your problem is a 4 channel amp would require a total of 2 pairs of RCA outputs. Your stock head unit only has 1 pair of RCA outputs. Also the problem is that stock head units are generally garbage when it comes to sound quality because they have extremely weak sound processors that cannot produce clean sound for the life of them. 12-16 bit processors at the most.

I'd say an addition of a JBL MS8 digital sound processor will make the biggest impact on sound quality. It has a built in internal amp but the main thing is a very strong clear signal and powerful 31 bit sound processing. It'll be worlds apart from anything you've ever heard and you can keep your stock head unit all of the controls. No other upgrade will make a big of an impact as a DSP. Logic 7 will have an immersive sound stage. It'll be better then clear and smooth, it'll be sound quality bliss.

Its actually not that expensive because its like high end head unit + an amp + factory integration all in one. It only needs one pair of RCA inputted into it but it has all the rca outputs you need if you want to add more amps and such. We had one member on here add it to his car, took him some time to tune it right but he was extremely happy with the results. It can accommodate and power up all your speakers individually and create a dolby digital surround sound.

Your problem is a 4 channel amp would require a total of 2 pairs of RCA outputs. Your stock head unit only has 1 pair of RCA outputs......
Jeff, my non-Sony system has no RCA jack outputs period; the only RCA jacks in the system are A/V inputs in the console. With extensive study of the factory wiring diagrams I find no pre-amp outputs from the integrated pre- and power-amp "audio unit" module in the dash - if I have that wrong, please provide explicit pin-out data for the appropriate connector.
That's why, as explained in my post, I am looking at options that support speaker level inputs. I realize that means the head unit outputs have already been through whatever 'low quality' processing is in that system, but I don't see a workaround for that within my budget. I think I'm willing to live with a bit less 'up-market' solution than you are suggesting, but thanks for the comments.

Austex, what you want to achive with your audio upgrades? if you want real sq? or just improve the one you allready have?

if you want real sq, buy a dsp, like ms8, bit one, mosconi 6 to 8, if you only want to imporve the your audio look for a 4 channel amp with at least 100 watts per channel, and dreden your door, a nice amp wil have its own x over i have some 610 in my last car, they sound hundred times better with a little of headroom.

will be using 165-wrc focals for front stage in my new car with an amps that has like 200 watts just to have tons of headroom (proably arc audio se4200), many new amps can use hi input and had their own in line converter

Jeff, my non-Sony system has no RCA jack outputs period; the only RCA jacks in the system are A/V inputs in the console. With extensive study of the factory wiring diagrams I find no pre-amp outputs from the integrated pre- and power-amp "audio unit" module in the dash - if I have that wrong, please provide explicit pin-out data for the appropriate connector.
That's why, as explained in my post, I am looking at options that support speaker level inputs. I realize that means the head unit outputs have already been through whatever 'low quality' processing is in that system, but I don't see a workaround for that within my budget. I think I'm willing to live with a bit less 'up-market' solution than you are suggesting, but thanks for the comments.
a really nice amp is the hdp4 from hertz enough power for the 610, in line converter, xover net and really really small in size, with a really really good sq for an d amp

Yes the 4 channel alpine amp would make a great difference in output and reduce distortion. The power pack is nice but if you have room for the F300, put that instead. I would consider going with a bigger amp, as if I'm not mistaken those components are 4 ohms, so they will only see 50w RMS at best per channel. Regardless the F300 would be a major upgrade from the stock head unit power.

Is it a touch screen headunit that you want to keep? or can you swap it out?

Is it a touch screen headunit that you want to keep? or can you swap it out?
Yes, I want to keep the OEM touch screen, audio modules, steering wheel controls, remote USB connection for phone (also used for streaming radio/music from the phone), SD card slot, etc, etc. The touch screen and associated audio modules manage much more than just 'entertainment features' (phone/text messaging, voice command and touch controls for HVAC/climate, etc, etc). Aftermarket units that preserve all those features are very few and very expensive for the '13-'14 Escape/Focus system at this time. I'm not at all interested in going there.
I think ancorp answered my questions and offered a suggestion that's in line with my goals, expectation and budget.

Thanks!

Yes the 4 channel alpine amp would make a great difference in output and reduce distortion. The power pack is nice but if you have room for the F300, put that instead. I would consider going with a bigger amp, as if I'm not mistaken those components are 4 ohms, so they will only see 50w RMS at best per channel. Regardless the F300 would be a major upgrade from the stock head unit power.
ancorp - Thank you for your on-point reply to my Q's and the suggestion - much appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.