2013 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab - Have all JL.. Wanna Upgrade... What're my options?

Participant count
  • Participant list

chr1z28

Ok... I have had an all JL setup for about a year now and while I like it, it could definitely be improved upon. My mids/highs leave quite a bit to be desired in both the clarity as well as volume output.

My subs are very loud but only at higher frequencies and just isn't quite the lower, deeper bass that I prefer.

That being said, here's what I have:

Stock UConnect 8.4AN 8" touchscreen as the head unit

2 sets JL ZR650-CSI components

4 JL 12W3v3 subs in a sealed box behind the rear seat

Audio Control LC7I Processor

2 JL JX1000/1 Amps (Subs)

1 JL HD600/4 Amp (ZR650's)

So, what would my option be for replacing it all? I'd likely have to do it in phases for financial reasons... like do mids/highs and amps for those one month and subs, box and amps for the subs another month.

I basically just want deeper, harder hitting bass and louder, clearer mids/highs.

I need to keep my back glass free and not cover it up and I'm keeping my back seats LOL

Budget for everything: $5-6k or less total

I can provide pics and dimensions of my current box as well as dimensions for behind my rear seats tomorrow morning if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance guys!!

I'd say the problem isn't likely your equipment but the install. If you like the JL product, ditch the 4 low end ones in the sealed box and get a pair of W7 12's in a nice big custom ported box. They'll get plenty loud off the 2000W and sound good doing it.

IMO their components sound quite nice. I'd think investing time and money doing some deadening or having some custom kickpanels or door pods built would likely improve your mids and highs far more than just throwing different components in the factory locations.

Tl;dr Spend the money on a better install and I expect you'll be very happy.

The box can only be about 8.5-9" deep max at the top of it (just before the glass starts).. That was why the shop I had do the install originally steered me toward ported (as well as to sell more more subs my guess LOL) The box is about 11.75" wide at the bottom and gradually gets slimmer as it goes up until it stops at just over 8.5" right before the glass. It runs the full length of the cab left to right (can measure and provide those dimensions in the morning)

Here's a pic to give a better idea. I can take a few more detailed ones tomorrow where I'm not in direct sun so you can see better if needed.

View attachment 26548045

Do you think 2 W7s would have sufficient room to fit into a ported box in that amount of space and be louder using the same 2 amps?

Ditch the AC LC7i and get a full DSP. My recommendation is JBL MS-8, but if you need to have a professional do the installation and tune it then you want to use what they know best. A DSP will do more to transform the sound than changing out your good equipment for a sidegrade. I can help you find an expert in your area.

any up dates on this box pics, dimensions , mounting depth ect , hard to imagine u dnt like those jl mids n highs those are pretty expensive, i wouldent go with jl subs if you want big bass id probably go with fi, ssa, dc but it really depends on air space def think 2 12s ported will sound better, w3s ****

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.