2011 Chevrolet Impala

Sem makes exact trim color paint ..only stuff to use
+1, it's decent stuff. doesnt texture though and seems to be a real ***** to apply to cover imperfections if you're just doing touch ups where paint is missing. its really only good for a completely clean trim piece imho.

so whats the verdict on the sail panels, worth the time and effort? I might try it myself

+1, it's decent stuff. doesnt texture though and seems to be a real ***** to apply to cover imperfections if you're just doing touch ups where paint is missing. its really only good for a completely clean trim piece imho.
Ive played with it enough over the years i can change the texture even by cooling and heating the can ...if i were u id buy a can of semtex tex coating then lay a coat of the color of choice on top..and yes i never use a final coating over unfinished body work..needs to be primed and sanded well ...

Ive played with it enough over the years i can change the texture even by cooling and heating the can ...if i were u id buy a can of semtex tex coating then lay a coat of the color of choice on top..and yes i never use a final coating over unfinished body work..needs to be primed and sanded well ...
Just got a can of the SEM, and the paint guys said acrylic enamel would be fine over it. Anything special I should throw on top of the SEM?

Well, while I work on the sails, I can put up pictures of the dash. Finally finished it, actually fucked up on my second attempt too lol. This is the third time. Many very light coats was the trick.

Didn't want to push anything all the way in, they have those tabs that make it virtually impossible to remove without screwing up the panel.

I am having the toughest time with these sons of bitches:

Went with SEM texture coating, and then acrylic enamel on top of that. It's all fucked up. Looks good in some spots, but inconsistent and I made a couple flat spots when sanding the SEM.

I'm frustrated. I'm sanding it all flat and then plastidipping.

that's exactly what i ran into with it too, i really dont know how to avoid that terrible look. extremely light coats helped but it still does it a lot of the time

that's exactly what i ran into with it too, i really dont know how to avoid that terrible look. extremely light coats helped but it still does it a lot of the time
Well by the end I learned that keeping a consistent distance from can to what you're spraying is crucial. Can't get any closer or farther around the whole thing. Was too late by then though.

Well by the end I learned that keeping a consistent distance from can to what you're spraying is crucial. Can't get any closer or farther around the whole thing. Was too late by then though.
Yea it can be finicky ...and sanding is a no no unless u sand it all back down ..ive never had that much trouble using it

Did you wet sand the glass then dry sand to allow a smooth finish before painting?
Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk
Wouldn't you wet sand last? Regardless, getting it that smooth was unnecessary because of the nature of the SEM.

Should have done this from the beginning. Finally, looks good. And matches pretty close to what the original sail panel finish was. I'm happy.

Now the trick is to not mess them up before I put them in the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.