2008 350Z Installation Process

Update on Install Log:

Fabricated an Amp "mount" from Plywood,.. carpeted it,.. put 1/4" spacers under it,.. and screwed amp into the Fabricated amp "rack" if you will. Have industrial velcro around the lip of the "hole" (where that little box goes, that comes out) inside the glove box.. and on bottom of plywood amp rack.. It holds amp in place VERY VERY well,.. And the upside is any adjustments to the amp are a snap.. I just pull up on it and it comes right off to adjust without removing any panels, screws etc. Plus the industrial velcro is so strong that amp isn't moving even if I slammed on my brakes. I like this solution, it's simple. (I'm going to add a carpeted piece on top of it later today to give me roughly half of my glove box space back, and to protect the amp if I put anything in there.

Also got half the car back together.. As you can see from this picture it's very much a "stealth" install.. not one thing shows this has high end speakers, a sub, amp etc..

Here is the Amp on the rack I built, carpeted,.. and tidy'd up -- It's simple, but I think it looks great imho. (Under that amp is a HUGE square hole.. I didn't just screw the amp down to that.. I had to make that (First time doing something like this,.. What do you think?)

Broke a few clips on the LAST panel I put in .. glad it's in the rear.. so ordered them off Ebay for cheap for a 25 pack.. Will replace those (and have plenty extras for the future) as I will be removing panels again to add more sound deadener/closed cell foam, etc.

Just taking a little break.. Next is the door panels.

You used a double din install kit for the Pioneer right? That's what you use to align the deck (to flush mount) with the rest of your dash. Loosen the four screws holding it in on the sides, and slide the unit forward/backward until it fits the position you like, and tighten it down. This may take some trial and error to get perfect.
For putting the center dash back together, you should go in this order (at least it is for the 370s). Screw the dash kit (with the head unit) back into place (four screws). Install the top piece (with the vents), this should snap into place, top to bottom, with two screws holding it into place at the bottom. Then install the side covers (at the bottom of the center dash, to the sides of the shifter knob), these should snap in, with two screws holding each side. Then slide the front of your shifter knob cover into the locations below the deck, and pop he rest into place. Seeing how your climate controls are integrated with the shift boot, that may go in before the side pieces, but I don't think so. Just a heads up. Let me know how that works out for you.
Hrmmm... Pictures are worth a thousand words for stuff like this. Let me drop a few pics your way in this thread,.. maybe that will help familiarize you with this setup.

(Also note: I bought the car with his ridiculous headunit in it, with TWO factory speakers at 10watts running... Isn't that some sort of punishable crime? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

Point is,. I didn't install the headunit.

Also.. I had to remove a "knee pad" that my right knee leans against when driving.

Here's the knee pad (next to the gauge cluster):

That Knee pad slides sideways into the whole unit there AND is bolted/screwed in. lol.. Don't know if you have these/this pad.

Here's a picture of my headunit and area as it sits at this moment:

Here is a picture of Gauge pod which is attached to that Double Din bracket I think you were referring to -- I tried to get a clear picture of all screw holes .. from the front at least.

Please Take a good look at those pics.. There are subtle differences even in the 350Z line, year by year in this area.

From your description above it sounds like a 10 minute easy as pie job.. But,.. I didn't really get all the locations/references given it has no pictures with it.

Maybe you could use my pictures and use MSPAINT or something easy and circle and draw arrows to them , then post them and describe what you are talking about?

The order of how things go in is very important to me.

I appreciate your help on this.. I'll be getting to this part last.. likely in a few hours, after I throw in door panels (and do a clutch adjustment while I have the seats out.)

Really.. modifying those pictures real quickly with MSPAINT or something easy would be infinitely appreciated.

Thanks again. (I'm sure the 370 is different to some degree than my 2008 350Z -Last year they were made- )

Can you pull the head unit out and take a picture of it and whatever it is mounted to? I'm trying to get an idea of what you've got but that part is kind of confusing me. I don't understand if it has a mount kit on it or not? It doesn't look like it does. I've got a good idea otherwise. I'm no near a computer so I can't modify your pictures, but I'll make sure to give a clear enough description to help you out.

I'll be off here at 530 eastern, but will keep checking for updates in the meantime.

Got the car back together.. and FINALLY got the headunit in .. wow what a pain! But,.. of all things, the trim piece doesn't fit now! ??

I wrestled with it.. tried to adjust the headunit to make it more "level" , etc.. but it just wouldn't fit around it. Then after enough tries one of the clips on the trim piece broke.. So I just gave up. I ordered another trim piece that will be here Thurs,. but at this point I don't know what to do to get it to fit around there properly?

This is a picture of what it looks like and how it's positioned without the trim piece on it now:

I'm sure you guys know just the thing to make this thing pop right on there.

Can you pull the head unit out and take a picture of it and whatever it is mounted to? I'm trying to get an idea of what you've got but that part is kind of confusing me. I don't understand if it has a mount kit on it or not? It doesn't look like it does. I've got a good idea otherwise. I'm no near a computer so I can't modify your pictures, but I'll make sure to give a clear enough description to help you out.
I'll be off here at 530 eastern, but will keep checking for updates in the meantime.
If you still need the headunit pulled out (after I finally got it in lol).. I will do it as I know how to get it back in now..

But.. essentially what it is.. Is an aftermarket, obviously,.. Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD doubledin headunit,.. and to mount these you take the side brackets off the factory doubledin radio and attach them to that hole gauge pod.

Here.. I quickly dropped some lines in paint to point it out:

The yellow arrow is pointing to the factory brackets.. see those LONG as.s legs on them ? Those were why it took me so long to figure out how to get that thing in there.. But that's not the issue now.

Now.. The red circle is the mounting holes.. two screws on each side that go into the headunit. It has the original factory holes.. and another set just beside them that whoever installed this head unit drilled to make it fit flush. Which , again, doesn't make sense to me.. because I used both sets of holes (more than once).. and it doesn't line up.. Well I'm guessing it's not lining up since the trim piece isn't fitting without gaps.

So basically it's the factory brackets.. with another set of holes drilled in it.. really simple set up (pain the butt to put back in due to how long those bracket bottom bolt legs/holes are.. you have to angle it down there where those legs go behind the very back of the bottom of the console area.. WHILE you have the top of the gauge pod hooked up and locked into the dash up top... Not a GOOD design at all. The brackets are attached to the gauge pod from the BACK.. so I couldn't remove the brackets then put them back on to make it easier.. as once you have them IN place.. you cannot possibly get BEHIND the brackets to put screws in them to mount them to the gauge pod console thingy..

But you see this picture of how the head unit currently is.. This is with it in the holes it was in when I disassembled it.. Should line up just fine right?

But it doesn't.. So need help on a freaking trim piece lol. At least I can put the seats back in and drive the car now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- Still annoys me to have the headunit looking like that right now after all that work though,. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Thanks man.

Even though both the stock and aftermarket have double din openings, generally you still need a dash kit for the trim pieces and to ensure a flush finish. Here's exactly what you need from the looks of things. FRYS.com*|*METRA You can probably find one cheaper if you look around, eBay is a good source, just make sure to get a Metra or American International, it's what I've always used. You're lucky, at least your radio isn't integrated with your climate controls. Because of that my dash kit ended up being like $80. My friend with a G35 was looking at getting a double din, and when I looked into the installation materials, I found out the dash kit alone was $200.

Anyways, it looks great otherwise. Glad to see you got everything back together without any mishaps. You should also put your build log on one of the Z forums. People are always looking for how-to's with pictures. Even if you don't go into any great detail, just the pictures of yours alone would be worth a lot to plenty of people online.

I also wanted to say that I liked your idea with the bass knob. I did something similar, dremeling out a path, but located mine on the topside of the dash opening above the head unit. That way it would be both concealed and easily accessible.

BTW, I just got my XCON 15 in tonight, so check back in a few weeks, I'm planning on putting up a build log for the enclosure I'll be designing for the back hatch. The sub is going to be running at one ohm off a Sundown SAZ1500. I can't wait to start testing and tuning, this sub looks absolutely beautiful and should sound equally so.

looks good. well done.

sorry, i didn't read close enough to see that you had 90's MB Quart speakers. otherwise i may have recommended something different. yes, they are nice and probably $400+ back in the 90's. FYI - German Maestro is the name of the company that has the same staff as old MB Quart. I've used their speakers before (Epic and Status) and they are good.

if they are convertible components, you can always swap them with the JBL front/rear.

Even though both the stock and aftermarket have double din openings, generally you still need a dash kit for the trim pieces and to ensure a flush finish. Here's exactly what you need from the looks of things. FRYS.com*|*METRA
I don't get it. Why would I need a dash kit? This thing was mounted perfectly flush last Friday when I unscrewed and pulled it out. Why would I need some new kit to put it back in? That makes zero sense to me.

I did snap one little plastic leg off the rectangle trim piece.. so I went ahead and ordered another one.. this kit:

met-997602.jpg

Just to replace it.. but the problem still exists .. even with a new piece it's not flushing up (there's a bit of gap on the sides mostly.. that wasn't there last week) .

Guess there's no magical trick.. I'm at the point where I guess after doing all the hard work I get to go pay a shop $100 to put a trim piece on.. humiliating!

Anyways, it looks great otherwise. Glad to see you got everything back together without any mishaps. You should also put your build log on one of the Z forums. People are always looking for how-to's with pictures. Even if you don't go into any great detail, just the pictures of yours alone would be worth a lot to plenty of people online.
Thanks. Sounds great too. -- I did put the install log on the biggest Z forum on the net.

I also wanted to say that I liked your idea with the bass knob. I did something similar, dremeling out a path, but located mine on the topside of the dash opening above the head unit. That way it would be both concealed and easily accessible.
Appreciate it. I spent a minute or 10 going around the car in the "Driving position" moving my hand around to see where I might want it.. There was a good spot up behind the stick shifter.. (unused botton notches/pop out panels).. but it was too close to the shifter and I'd constantly be banging my hand on the shift knob regardless of height.

I thought about putting it up flush mount from behind in the front dash around the head unit.. But decided nah,.. I don't want to drill a hole in the dash to be honest.. then I popped the console storage area in the middle.. and thought,.. yeah, .. this is perfect it's "stealth" if you will.. and easy to reach.. Cord run was like 3 feet at most,.. Just dremeled a small hole (You can squeeze larger objects than the hole through .. I've found out with this install..) -- Which also have an advantage of acting like a backing reinforcement so whatever it is doesn't get pulled out. Then I thought do I want to just screw this thing into this.. or what..

I'm more of the type to not drill panels of the car if I don't have to. I had bought 15ft of Industrial velcro .. So I said I'll give it a try. Worked like a charm.. So no real "damage" to the car,.. and there's a tray that has a cup holder, and compartments that can go in that slot I pulled out (and am leaving out).. When I go to sell years from now I can put that tray in and not have to worry about it.. but most likely I won't remove anything from the car.. except MAYBE the MB Quarts from rear because they are sort of a speaker you can't buy anymore.

BTW, I just got my XCON 15 in tonight, so check back in a few weeks, I'm planning on putting up a build log for the enclosure I'll be designing for the back hatch. The sub is going to be running at one ohm off a Sundown SAZ1500. I can't wait to start testing and tuning, this sub looks absolutely beautiful and should sound equally so.
Looking forward to it!

looks good. well done.
Thank you sir.

sorry, i didn't read close enough to see that you had 90's MB Quart speakers. otherwise i may have recommended something different. yes, they are nice and probably $400+ back in the 90's. FYI - German Maestro is the name of the company that has the same staff as old MB Quart. I've used their speakers before (Epic and Status) and they are good.
Oh.. so my beloved German company that made the MB Quarts I have still exists under another name? Awesome information! Now I know , in the future, .. to buy Epic and/or Status speakers. Sweet.

if they are convertible components, you can always swap them with the JBL front/rear.
They are not convertible components. They are Coaxial.. twitter attached across woofer with plastic "beams" if you will. I have already figured out how to MAKE them components.. cutting it the easy part.. the wiring of the tweeter a little more tricky .. but it's doable..

Do I have the balls to cut up my MBquarts? At this point, .. no thanks.

I'm posting this in my threads I'm keeping up with here,.. Due to buying a new Headunit from BestBuy tomorrow. (Read to see why)

**If you don't want to read this post.. I would like some help picking out a headunit from Bestbuy (I'm doing 18months interest free.. all I can do this month) -- The "must haves" are Double Din - Touch Screen - Built In Bluetooth - 4V Pre-outs (not 2v) - and 3 RCA Pre-outs (OR, 2 RCA Pre-outs and A "Sub-out") --- Go to the bottom of the post and you will see a link I made that takes you right to the headunits at bestbuy to scan through and help me pick one. Budget around $300-$550. Thanks **

Well good news (Car is finished completely), and really.. really bad news (Head Unit stopped working!).

I figured out how to flush the head unit.. I just grabbed the dremel for the billionth time and opened up the holes and was able to flush it.

I buttoned everything back up.. turned the key! -- And,..nothing from the headunit.. no lights, no screen... then it starts this constant beeping.

Beep beep.... beep beep...... beep beep... and it never stops.

I was like this is bad..

I took it ALL apart again,.. checked all the wiring.. (Good)

I pulled all wires off headunit,.. and checked fuse -- Even put a new one in. (Good)

At this point I was like.. I don't think this is going to work again. But I continued.. over the next 2-3 hours I pulled every Fuse from the vehicle and independently checked them. Yes, really. (All good).

I went online.. nothing much about just 2 beeps, pause.. 2 beeps pause.. 2 beeps.. forever.. and no lights, no screen display .. on a Pioneer headunit.. or my specific headunit the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD . I found a FEW help threads on the issue.. and every single one of them the person ended up taking it out for service and the unit was DEAD.

I read the entire manual on my model online.. No mention of "beeps" .. Did mention a reset button. So I pressed and held it.. nothing. I did that another 20 times in different ways.

So I was like ok.. I'll pull the battery cables and let it sit for an hour. (Did nothing).

I was out of ideas.. Everything I could think of.. I did. And I figured there would be a million topics about this online,.. but I couldn't find them.

SO.. I'm assuming I need a new headunit.

So the only UPSIDE to this is this headunit doesn't have Bluetooth in it.. and it's like $200 just for the adapter to enable it.. so,.. the new headunit WILL have bluetooth , to make it not just a carbon copy of what I have. I'd like GPS, but they are $200+ more dollars generally.

The good news? I finished the car. Everything is in.. nothing broken.. it's back like she was. Again.. camera is taking grainy pics.. but here she is:

Now.. here's the deal. My intuition tells me the HU is just not going to work again.

So,.. I really can't order one online at the moment,.. and it's really ****** to have done 40+ hours of work with this and now it doesn't work cause of the HU.

SO.. I do have a good best buy account.. with 18 months interest free.. I always pay single purchases off in less than 6 months from there.

So while I don't think you guys can give me a magical "fix" for this headunit (If you've heard/read or seen this issue with a Pioneer headunit and KNOW an absolute way to fix it, please tell.)

But otherwise -- I'm now in the market to get another headunit and fast.. like tomorrow fast.

I'm limited to Bestbuy. Surprisingly they have a decent selection.

I DID notice some of the ones I preferred had 2V pre-outs instead of 4V preouts.. And some of these with 2V pre-outs were top of the line $750+ headunits.

So here's the criteria. Must have 4V preouts (must have 3 sets.. or, 2 sets, and a sub woofer set of "preouts, aka: RCA's) (As I'm running fronts, rears, and the sub off three pair of RCA's.)

To make this have an "upside".. it must have built in Blue tooth. I've wanted that , and never had it in any vehicle in my life. So might as well.

So (must haves), Double Din - Touch Screen - Blue Tooth Built In - and 4V Preouts (3 sets of RCA's, or 2 sets and a Sub out).

Can/will you guys can help recommend the best one in a $300-$550 pricerange (ish).. from bestbuy. I'll even give you the direct link to browse to make it quick for you:

In-Dash with DVD : Best Buy | Double DIN Double DIN - Best Buy

Help me pick out a good headunit.. I'm probably going to grab it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks..

[quote name='NASTY08IMPALA']@Chromatic; id get the kenwood ddx419 its what i run and i got it at best buy ..i love it ..does all u listed and more.i think it was 350 or 399.looks like the ddx419 is discontinued and replaced with the ddx470 for 335...has all u need[/QUOTE]

@Nasty08impala

Thanks. The ddx470 looks like a great choice. Good price,.. it's NOT Pioneer (I don't think I'll ever buy a pioneer head unit in the future (I didn't buy this one.. it came with the car) ).. The pioneers seem prone to problems.. and PICO issues , ie: RCA issues with whine , etc. The DDX470 is $335. That's a really good deal,.. and is Kenwood.. Kenwood has always made great Head units.. (actually was the brand I had in my last full on "system".)

Few questions on that model.

It has 2 Pre-outs. It does have a third set of RCA's for sub right?

It mentions it has a crossover for the Sub,.. but nothing else. I was controlling my front and sub with the decks crossover. Does this headunit not have a "highpass" xover?

And, online it says it's available in my local stores.. so that may be the one!

I may even get Bestbuy to install it.. I'm honestly SICK of tearing things apart on this.. It's all back together.. all the stuff I bought,.. Front components, Rear MB Quarts,.. Stealth box.. JL 10" Sub.. PPI 5 Channel Amp.. 4 Gauge wiring kit, 14gauge wire.. amp rack, fabrication all over the car.. etc is DONE. I'm not a fan of Bestbuy installing stuff.. but a headunit.. Come on.. Even those morons can successfully put in a deck.. and with their installation fee,.. It's warranted forever, literally. So if it dies, etc.. They replace it no questions.

Think it's $99 for their installation, steep -- but 40+ hours .. I'm done.. lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.