2005 Accord Navigation/Head Unit Big Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jim McCall

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2005 Accord EX, where the dash has a CD/Sattelite/Navigation player interface. In the trunk there is a dvd player where the Honda Map DVD lives. I have been having some problems with disk errors and all sorts of glitches. Often the Navigation will restart for no reason, sometimes requiring yet another input of the 4 digit security code. Sometimes the whole UI will disappear on the large screen, but the audio and the operability of the radio always works. The small wide screen near the windshield always works and the steering wheel controls to set volume and change the radio presets works. 

What I have done, and the problem is I am worried that my judgement was faulty, is to purchase another head unit used but in very good condition from eBay. My fear is that the problem is not with the head unit but with the trunk DVD player – that my purchase was a dumb thing and swapping it would not alleviate the problems.  Honestly, the navigation of this era is terrible and worth very little to a modern driver. I have been planning to pull out the dvd player from the trunk and try to clean the laser, which seems to be a "not too difficult procedure." I wonder if I could put any audio input device on that cabling, either instead of the DVD player or inline with the DVD player. For instance, if I could put a USB/bluetooth device in the car installed there in the trunk, that might be a good solution. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.