2004 Avalon Subwoofer Repair

Participant count
  • Participant list

scottjoe345

Hello, new to this forum and car audio in general so sorry if this is in the wrong category. Need some help fixing my subwoofer.

Got a used 2004 Toyota Avalon about 2 years ago and about a year later the factory 8 inch JBL 86160-AC180 subwoofer blew out. Just makes a loud, annoying rattling noise so I've kept it off since then and have put off getting it fixed.

Now, looking at other forums it seemed like the problem is that the foam around the cone deteriorates so I took out my woofer and of course, that seems to be the problem.

The fix according to the internet is just to refoam, but when I call up the local audio shops they all say that I need to replace the entire subwoofer which costs about $300!

So my question for everyone is whether this refoaming fix is legitimate or the local shops are just trying to scam me?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Replace it with an Image Dynamics id8 v3 d4. They run Ib and sound great. Do it yourself and its a $99 dollar project. Wire it in parallel for a 2 ohm load which will match your jbl factory amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.