2003 sierra dimming prob.

Hmm, i just installed a sundown saz-1000D in my 2001 GMC sierra and i have no dimming problems at all with stock electrical. I can even run it on full gains and i don't have any dimming problems.

I drilled a hole in the floor of the cab and grounded my amp in 1/0 to a bolt in the frame.

I also ran the positive wire from the battery in 1/0.

Edit - oh yeah i never dip below 14 volts.

could you explain to me how to do that because my amp ground is a really long way from the battery
Using your DMM set it to OHMS. Put one lead on your amp ground and then use a piece of wire to go from your other lead to your batter negative. You'll need a 10-15' piece of wire to get there. It is just temporary to make your lead longer.

What size wire did you use for the big 3 and to connect the two batts. Did you run a seperate wire for both pos and neg?

Has this been dimming since you first upgraded the audio or is it something thats grown worse over time?

FYI the reason why your HU doesn't dim is because its probably digital (led) and will just turn off when the voltage gets too low. Same with your amps, they probably go into protect mode when the voltage drops too low.

Your batteries should be fine for car audio, you just have to realize that they are not ment to be deep cycled so everytime you have to jumpstart your car it means less life out of your batts.

It wouldn't hurt to check the batts. If one has a defect then both will have problems if you don't have an isolator. Try disconnecting them and let us know the voltage you read across the terminals. Also what voltage does your car idle at?

ummm i understand the amp negative part.... but why do you have to run another wire to the battery??? and which one do you use????
It is just a temporary wire since the leads aren't long enough to reach that far. Regular 12-14 awg wire should work fine. It is only used for testing the resistance between where your amp ground is and your battery ground.

It is just a temporary wire since the leads aren't long enough to reach that far. Regular 12-14 awg wire should work fine. It is only used for testing the resistance between where your amp ground is and your battery ground.
How would you factor in the added resistance of the extension wire?

Ok, I drew you a picture below. I'll explain it a little more.

1. Get your wire you are going to use to reach your battery.

2. Measure the resistance of that wire.

3. Measure the resistance from your amp ground to battery.

4. Subtract resistance of wire you measured in step 2 from resistance from step 3.

All of that isn't really necessary, but it will be the most accurate. It will be quite obvious if your resistance is too high which would cause a bad ground which equals poor performance. Make the measurements and post what you get.

dmm.jpg

and the highs will come back on when i kill out the truck and restart it....; this works sometimes and other times it will do the same thing, which is NOT WORK!!!!! and the voltage drops around 12.8 to 11 volts on hard hitting songs.. i havent measured the voltage on higher volme

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.