2003 330XI Build Need help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dastopper
10+ year member

I recently decided to upgrade from the ****** kardon stock stereo in my BMW. So I purchased the Kenwwood KVT-696 head unit, also the Kenwood KNA-G610 GPS, also KCA-IP302 iPod/iPhone AUDIO/VIDEO CABLE to connect to my Ipod, and the PAC SWI-JACK STEERING WHEEL CONTROL.

1.What im wanting some help with is i want to install a 1TB external harddrive in the trunk, and i believe this Head Unit already has USB out so maybe someone can point me towards what ill need for that.

2. I listen to pretty much only rap and country, so im looking for a Amp/Sub kit for under 1,000 if anyone has a recamendation? I like loud yet crisp

3. Also should I purchase a 4 way amp for the ****** Kardon speakers alredy in the car? or should the head unit be ok? if so please reccomend.

4. Last is anyone know a great installer in the Spokane Wa area?

Thank you all for reading this and on completion of the car I will post a video of the build... so far im 1,100 into it. Hoping for under 5k after install and everything.

Dastopper

theres a build help section...use it..
Werent you the one who came to this forum and started asking a billion questions? Regardless if he posted in the correct section or not he is just asking for help...and YOU should be the LAST person trying to act slick. My suggestion to you is either you post something that will actually help the OP or just dont post anything at all and keep it moving.

As for the OP why are you looking to put the HDD in the trunk? I keep mine in the glove box (abeit its only a little 100gb laptop drive)....Just make sure if its a usb powered drive you use a decent sized gauge from the HU to the drive. and make sure it is formatted in FAT32

I wanted to put it in the trunk, so it could mount it without having to cut or screw anything in the primary area of the car. And on account i am new I thought this was the correct topic section, i searched and read alot before decideding on this topic section. And thank you for the info. I will write that down and make sure I do my google research to make sure the cord is thick enough, and its FAT32.

After looking around some more I found this box... is this a good idea?

BMW 323 325 330 E46 SUB BOX ENCLOSURE 4 DOOR SEDAN 10" | eBay

Im also thinking of doing a JL 10W7 but wondering why some are 500 new and some are 800+ new??? any idea here? or which one i need?

And thinking for the amp a JL Audio 500/1???

Any Input helps, and im sure a moderator will move this for me soon. Sorry again its in the wrong section...

After looking around some more I found this box... is this a good idea?BMW 323 325 330 E46 SUB BOX ENCLOSURE 4 DOOR SEDAN 10" | eBay

Im also thinking of doing a JL 10W7 but wondering why some are 500 new and some are 800+ new??? any idea here? or which one i need?

And thinking for the amp a JL Audio 500/1???

Any Input helps, and im sure a moderator will move this for me soon. Sorry again its in the wrong section...
That's a decent box, but a w7 might struggle for air space in that. I just built a box that fits inbetween the tire wells in my e46, I went all out though so my trunks now gone lol. If budget isn't a problem JL should work, but there's definitally competition for them that's cheaper.

well if cheaper with the same sound quality is an option then im happy to take it! I am now looking at the box with jl 1 10W7 with a 750/1 any input? maybe a cheaper version that ill get the same sound? This is what ive found so far...

JL AUDIO HD750/1 - 699.00

JL Audio 10W7 - 599.99

03 BMW SUB BOX sedan - 359.95

well if cheaper with the same sound quality is an option then im happy to take it! I am now looking at the box with jl 1 10W7 with a 750/1 any input? maybe a cheaper version that ill get the same sound? This is what ive found so far...JL AUDIO HD750/1 - 699.00

JL Audio 10W7 - 599.99

03 BMW SUB BOX sedan - 359.95
Plenty of people compare the w7 to SSA items. For exampe, SSA Shop - SoundSolutionsAudio 12" SSA ICON Sub woofer.

And it would like a 1000+ rms amp, so whichever 1k amp you would like.

I understand your new but you dont HAVE to go top of the line for quality car audio.. $2000 for a starter system is... CRAZY! plus you got to get it installed and other misc items (dynamat, sound deadener, amp kit, etc.). You asked if there is cheaper for same sound quality... there is plenty. Read up and compare the specs on products (watts, mhz, Dbs). You also asked for loud and crisp, I like Infinity. My cousin had a 3.28 with 2 12 inch Rockford Fosgates back in 02-03 and man.... WAAYYYY more then enough for the Bimmer. I do recall the Fosgates hit the lower hz harder then the infinity sub I have ever did tho. But you do what you desire, you got the cash... spend it.

I have had a few vehicles with systems in it, so im not completly new. Its just in the past I never put thought into it... But a cheap amp here, and a sub or two there, have the kid down the road put it all in... GOLDEN!

But this time I want to really have something nice...

Once again I appericate all the input, and I dont think the system Im looking at installing is that over the top... like 700 for a amp and 500 for the sub dosent seem like alot if it clear crisp loud sound... I just dont want like the boom boom rattle the house down, but i want loud... dos that make sense?

Look into sound solutions audio dot com don't know why I spelled that out but everything they sell. Will put almost everything mainstream to shame. Sundown makes solid amps and subs as does Incriminator. Ssa subs are known for being loud and accurate subs. Dd audio is also known for loud and accurate better know for spl records but they sound good and get loud. Knukonceptz.com for wire and electrical accessories. And a good custom box and you'll be good to go. As far as amping the factory speakers: they will be louder but they prolly won't sound much better. Mine are amped in my chevy and they are loud and clear but nothing compared to an aftermarket speaker. I say amp them if you have the money and later on replace the front speakers as those are the important ones.

Ok sweet, im looking at 10" SSA DCON 10D4/S4, I really like the sound of them on the videos... But would i need dual 4 ohm or single 4 ohm? and can you explain the diffrence please? also what amps dos anyone reccomend for this for clear loud sound?

A nice 300-500 watt amp would work great on that dcon. If you buy a 4 channel for highs you could easily just run the fronts off of channels 1&2 and bridge 3&4. And I believe they have a package deal for that sub as well. Me personlly I'd by a sundown 125.2 and bridge it with a s4 dcon that way later if I decide I want more bass I could pick up another dcon and a sundown 1200 and just move the 125.2 to the front door speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.