2002 Sunfire Installation & PassLock II

Participant count
  • Participant list

CarAudioAddict
10+ year member

What did I do now?
Alberta
I've searched google, msn, about 5 different forums, and also asked my local GM dealership and cannot find a definitive answer to these questions

My sunfire has just a stock AM/FM radio - I didn't care because I knew I'd be upgrading the sound system eventually.

1. Do all 2002 Sunfire's use the PassLock II system? Mine's an SL model with no extra features (not even tilt steering)

2. Is there a cheap way of bypassing the System? I'm not paying $100 USD for a wiring harness unless I have absolutley no other cheaper choice.

As I understand it, if the PassLock II doesn't recieve an "I'm OK" signal from every component attached, the car won't even start. so for my third question

3. Why on earth would any company do this to their system? This is just another (only?) excuse for someone to steal a stock stereo - to screw with the owner of the vehicle.

I believe you are talking about the class II data bus system. Quite honestly, there isn't a way to properly do it cheaply. There are many harnesses that can be had for about 70. Its worth the money.

Maybe it's the class II data bus....

The GM techs at the local dealership called it a PassLock II, probably the same thing.

Any idea where I could get a harness for that cheap. Everywhere I've looked so far it's $100+

I've searched google, msn, about 5 different forums, and also asked my local GM dealership and cannot find a definitive answer to these questions
My sunfire has just a stock AM/FM radio - I didn't care because I knew I'd be upgrading the sound system eventually.

1. Do all 2002 Sunfire's use the PassLock II system? Mine's an SL model with no extra features (not even tilt steering)

2. Is there a cheap way of bypassing the System? I'm not paying $100 USD for a wiring harness unless I have absolutley no other cheaper choice.

As I understand it, if the PassLock II doesn't recieve an "I'm OK" signal from every component attached, the car won't even start. so for my third question

3. Why on earth would any company do this to their system? This is just another (only?) excuse for someone to steal a stock stereo - to screw with the owner of the vehicle.

You've been misinformed. The Passlock system has nothing to do with the radio; it's just a resistance built into the ignition switch and is intended to prevent hotwiring the ignition.

The Class II data bus system is what you're thinking of, but removing the radio won't hurt your vehicle any more than unplugging a USB device will hurt your computer. You'll lose any functions that are controlled by the radio unit; in your vehicle, that pretty much comes down to warning chimes. If you remove the factory radio you'll lose your door chimes and the warning chimes that tell you your lights are on.

If you can live without the warning chimes, then go ahead and use a Metra 70-2003 harness. The only other issue with the installation is that you'll need to find another source for accessory power, since none exists behind the head unit.

Some GMs with the Class II data-bus have had issues with air bags and service engine lights. I am just very cautious when it comes to them. Thats why I always use integration harnesses. I have heard of people not using them and being just fine, I just dont do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.