2 runs of 4 gauge

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Noob question for my friend. he asked me but i couldnt answer it for him.

Whats the difference between running 2 4ga power wires into 1 anl fuse and then to amp from

running only 1 2ga wire. ive seen ppl run multi runs of 0ga at comps. one guy i know has 6 runs of 0.

i does like a 158db so i guess what ever hes doin is working. but im just curious if it makes a difference.

this is debatable...

running 2 runs of 4 should give you around the same capacity of 1/0 ... in ideal situations. but then, you have to realize that with 2 runs of 4, your resistance will be higher, then it would be with a single run of 1/0 .

2 runs of 4 should give you more capacity then a single run of 2... but i wouldnt suggest him running them both into one fuse... he needs to fuse each run according to its capacity

The more wire you run the better, but running 2 4ga would be pointless when there is bigger wire. Unless all you have is 4ga. The guy that had 6 runs to the back probably had batteries back there and ran that much wire to have the least resistance possible and also to get his alternator juice back there quickly and efficiently, overkill for any daily car.

just remember this... even if adding more smaller wire gives you the same current capacity of larger wire, your resistance is going to be higher with the smaller wire... just food for thought

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.