2 ohm bridge

jbl_marshall21
10+ year member

important person
nebraska
i am one of those guys that is never satisfied. well since its nebraska and its still cold outside so i was thinking it wouldn't overheat. then it would only be running for 10 minutes at a time(how long it takes to get to school) i was wondering if i could BRIDGE my amp and run it at 2 ohms. it is only stable at 4 ohms bridged though. its a pioneer gm-962. the reason i am asking is cuz i was thinking i might be able to get some more power outta it. maybe i won't, maybe i will. idk thats y i am asking. hopefully one of u good people reply.

well i just did it and i left it going for a few minutes and worked good. i think i got some more power outta it. if anyone knows any different then me then go ahead and tell me.

i rather not buy another amp. i just try to make the best out of what i have.

It's doubtful that your amp is putting out more

power at 2 ohms.

If your amp is only stable down to 4 ohms bridged

any further load will probably make the amp produce

less power and run hot and possibly damage it.

So if you don't want to buy another amp I would wire

your Pionner amp at 4 ohms or you might have to buy

one to replace your blown one.

well i did it and i noticed quite a difference in sound. lots louder. even though it is louder it probaly isn't good so i will probaly wire it back to 2 ohm stereo. maybe for a db drag or something i will do it.

You need to remember that the internal components of that amp are not designed to work at that ohm load. By reducing the ohm load, you are basically increasing the current, the flow of electrons. Too much current tends to let the magic smoke out of amps. You may get lucky and it will work for awhile, but eventually you'll burn it up.

alright well i just put it back to 2 ohm stable. i am wondering though if i could use this 2 ohm load bridge in a comp. i think u have to have ur music play for 30 seconds so i am just wondering. i will probaly put a fan on it too during the 2 ohm load.

Originally posted by jbl_marshall21 but for a 30 second time period? i don't think that is too risky. cuz i ran it for ten minutes a few times.

Everyone hold on a second.

You gotta remember this AMP can do 2ohms while bridged but with only moderate volume levels. If you notice, this amp can do tri mode which means you can independantly run two 6x9s on each channel and have a sub bridged all at the same time. When you have two speakers running off speaker A and speaker B in the back, your ending up with 2ohms bridged on your sub woofer when its bridged into this configuration. The AMP will then see a total of 4 speakers running on your AMP even if your running 3 (Tri Mode).

Refer to your manual for more information on how this setup works. I've known a few people who run 2ohms bridged on a 4ohm maximum bridged amplifier with no problems what so ever. You have to remember, this is a Pioneer which comes with a limiting circuit which will automatically cut in when distortion levels get too high or when the AMPs maximum current is exceeded. There is also fuses which were really well designed to pop when load levels go far behond specifications.

(NOTE: You can easily pop your fuses in 2ohms bridged,, since thats technically 380Watts RMS / Channel which is double the normal maximum). If you run your amp to high, expect the damage to kick in.

My advice to you is if you want to run 2ohms bridged, turn down your gain so that your maybe using an extra 60Watts more over the previous 125Watts / channel that this amp is normally rated at with 4ohms.

If you want to get technical, this AMP can run 190Watts RMS / Channel in 2ohms operation which means it can technically run 2ohms bridged but not very effectively or safely. If you bag your AMP in 2ohms bridged, expect the AMP to fry, thats just normal for an AMP thats not designed for this operation.

BUT, if you use this method of operation to your advantage, you'll be able to squezze about 65Watts extra into each sub SAFELY without worrying about burning out the amp. WATCH YOUR gain control value and your overall small signal imput into your AMP.

EDIT: How did you manage to run two ohms Stereo on Subs that are not Dual Voice Coil? My subs arnt Dual Voice Coil Either and I'd kill to know your method. Please show me the light //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

AtomicGuY

Uh...Atomic Dude...

1) Amps don't see speakers...they see a resistive load. You can hook up as many speakers as you want...and the amp will do the same to all of them, you just need to know HOW to hook them up, power then is shared...total power divided by number of speakers...assuming OHM LOAD stays the same.

2) Two ohms stereo DOES NOT mean the same as two ohms bridged...

3) Op Amps, the internal components responsible for current increases and more sound and they will only accept so much current, after that they have magic smoke inside, and when you let it out...they quit working...that is what happens when you load an amplifier too much...

I was using my 2 boston acoustics 2ohm subs on a 4 channel amp bridged and it only lasted about 6 months. Its not a good idea doing what i done because the amp is now blowen.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by IASCA pro 301-6 Uh...Atomic Dude...

1) Amps don't see speakers...they see a resistive load. You can hook up as many speakers as you want...and the amp will do the same to all of them, you just need to know HOW to hook them up, power then is shared...total power divided by number of speakers...assuming OHM LOAD stays the same.

2) Two ohms stereo DOES NOT mean the same as two ohms bridged...

3) Op Amps, the internal components responsible for current increases and more sound and they will only accept so much current, after that they have magic smoke inside, and when you let it out...they quit working...that is what happens when you load an amplifier too much...

Yes amps see speakers, fore speakers carry a load and they see the load which essentially is the speaker.

I know two ohms stereo is not the same.. I never said it was.. BUT it is very alike to 4ohms bridged.

And #3 your talking about can be adverted by playing it safe and keeping the gain low so that your amp isnt running full on. As long as the amp is running maybe 60% full on at max, you'll never blow the amp, I can garantee it..

AtomicGuY

Originally posted by binboy2003 I was using my 2 boston acoustics 2ohm subs on a 4 channel amp bridged and it only lasted about 6 months. Its not a good idea doing what i done because the amp is now blowen.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I bet you bagged the AMP didnt you? This is impossible if the amp is only turned up 50% or soo. The only problem that lies here is your eyes will have a hard time hearing between 150watts and 200~250watts... You'll have to really tune it before you get it right.

My friend has had his good ole Jenson AMP for almost three years now birdged at 2 ohms and it hasnt seen magic smoke. The reason for this is simple,, he plays by the rules and keeps the maximum volume far from its potential.

AtomicGuY

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.