2 Guage Help

Geminidj2000
10+ year member

The Bad Luck Kid
Denver
I went to a car audio store to get some 2 guage wire and it was $8 a foot so i went to best buy and got the rockford 2 guae amp kit same price what ele do i need to make it handel 2400 watts im thinking about just upgrading the inline fuse to a 300 watt and a distribution block ...... but then im thinking about just getting 1 amp........ what shoul i do?

yeh i know all 3 of the stores i went to wre selling that sony 1200 watt amp for 350+ to the amp kit was only 100 so i saved money by getting it

Originally posted by saltyjesus try your local home depot in their electronics department. i got some wire real cheap there!
Good luck finding anything with a strand count exceeding 50. Try http://www.knukonceptz.com/ . Also, there is another cheap kind of wire that is designed for welding applications but I forgot all the details. This was most likely because I never had access to it in my little community I used to live in.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

....... the amp kit says it will handel a 1000 watt amp..... but it has 2 guage ground and power wire............ and a Anl inline fuse holder the amps on the amps ill be using adds up to 180 amps so if i put in a 300 or 250 will the wire be able to support more then 1000 watts?

Originally posted by Geminidj2000 ....... the amp kit says it will handel a 1000 watt amp..... but it has 2 guage ground and power wire............ and a Anl inline fuse holder the amps on the amps ill be using adds up to 180 amps so if i put in a 300 or 250 will the wire be able to support more then 1000 watts?
The idea behind the fuse is to prevent the wire from melting.. If you OVERPOWER the wire by having a MUCH higher possible load (putting a 300 amp fuse in a 200 amp holder) you stand a VERY good chance of starting a FIRE.. 2 AWG is NOT big enough to run 2400 watts..

Here is a site/util that will suggest some sizes/fuses/etc for your setup.. I'm looking at 0 AWG for my system at 1800 RMS.. Not that I think I'll be running that high (over 275 amps max draw, my alt certianly can't handle that)..

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/systemdesignassistant.swf

Anyway, do NOT exceed the recomended fuse for the guage wire you have or you might well burn your car to the ground..

Hope that helps..

And, you can order 0/AWG from sounddomain.com (I think) for ~ $2.95/foot..

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/amp_install

At one time, I had 4awg running from my second alternator to my busbar for my 8 batteries that ran my 16 Eathquake shredders.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif this is why i suggest a fine strand welding cable, because it can hand EXTREME current, so that you can run a smaller wire. plus, it is cheap, and you can buy it in about 15 different colors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.