• Participant list

SirSteve
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
USA
Newbie here still learning... my old system had a Punch 45 on:

2 x 5 1/4" MB Quarts

2 x MB Quart tweets

(these were using the competition 3-way crossovers)

2 x 4" MB Quarts (not sure if this was powered by the head unit or not)

and for some reason they had some volume control knob stashed away for me to use on the 2 x 5 1/4" coax MB Quarts in the rear. Now, I am upgrading to a JL Audio 300/4 for these. I also picked up an extra pair of tweets for the fronts and they come with a set of crossovers. Can I trash that volume control knob they had on the rears since the 300/4 can handle it (or can it not?)?

How do I wire up all of these for the JL 300/4?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by ftgu Run the 4" and a set of tweeters on two of the channels, and the 5 1/4's with a set of tweeters on the other 2 channels.
What about the 5 1/4 coax rears?

I'm sorry, you have 2 sets of 5 1/4 's?

If so, i would run them on the same channel as the other 5 1/4's, this way you won't have any difference in the way you set the crossover, ALthough, I would turn the gain down a little bit because you will be decreasing the resistance on the channels that are running the 5 1/4's, and putting out more power.(and if you added the coax's to the same channels as the 4" they probably wouldn't be able to handle the power, besides the 5 1/4's need to be crossed- over differently than the 4".//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by ftgu I'm sorry, you have 2 sets of 5 1/4 's?

If so, i would run them on the same channel as the other 5 1/4's, this way you won't have any difference in the way you set the crossover, ALthough, I would turn the gain down a little bit because you will be decreasing the resistance on the channels that are running the 5 1/4's, and putting out more power.(and if you added the coax's to the same channels as the 4" they probably wouldn't be able to handle the power, besides the 5 1/4's need to be crossed- over differently than the 4".//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Excellent! Then I can rip out that rigged up volume control! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'd be interested in knowing why they did that... Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.